PDA

View Full Version : Buzzard

John Robinson
01-06-2014, 05:12 PM
One of those days. One from a while back
Went to a new hide set up on a farm where the owner is very helpful( as most of them are). It’s a good spot for finches and it make a pleasant change from the three pool hides. On the way down the track to the farm , I came across a dead woodpigeon.
I thought I might as well stick it out in front of the hide for a fox or whatever. I managed to find a stick with a short angled twig on it and with a bit of penknife work,made a sort of tent peg , and I used this to hold the pigeon down- bit messy but the bird didn’t feel much !!
I stuck some seed down arranged a few perches and settled down. I got some lovely stuff on Bullfinches, Reed Bunting, Jay, Pheasant, Greenfinch etc.
All of a sudden there was a commotion and everything took off. To my surprise two Buzzards had landed about 5 foot behind the pigeon. One took off and the other hopped (in the way that buzzies do ! ) towards the pigeon.
He tried to drag it off but the peg held. He ripped the head off and ate that, and spent the next half hour slowly demolishing what was left. The wind comingfrom the right was blowing feathers all over the place !Took no notice of the camera at all, and I ended up with about 250 shots- vertical, horizontal and even full frame

As Mark Knopfler said “ Sometime it all come together “
D71000
Sigma 100-300 mm
500 ISO
320th @f8
Slight crop on this one.
Levels Paint Shop Pro
White balance auto /warm. White pigeon feathers slightly blue but they are that colour.
Very oof maggy in background taken out- looked like a feather ! Posted this on anotherforum and got the wrong exif.
Made me think about the D4. I,ve just looked at the specs and the D7100 has the same new focus sytem etc, less the sensor filter. It only takes 6 frames a second as opposed to 10 but is that really worth 5 times the price !! I don't think it would make that much difference at my time of life or my pictures. Finding the subjects is the hard bit- not the camera. I must read the D7100 book some time !!! and try some new settings !!!!
Cheers
JR

Sidharth Kodikal
01-06-2014, 05:32 PM
It all came together for you, indeed. The flying feathers add to the drama for me.
Nice comp, colors and sharpness.
Would love to see photos of your hides (if you have them and don't mind sharing)
Are these temporary popup blinds or are they more permanent structures?

Jim Crosswell
01-06-2014, 05:35 PM
I like the wind blown feathers on both the bird and ground, sharpness, details, setting and composition. Very well done John!

John Robinson
01-06-2014, 06:01 PM
Thanks both.
Sidharth- this site is a permanent wooden hide built some years back and the brambles have copletely covered it , so its really well camo,d. The cattle nock it a bit now and then but its not too bad. My others are small pop up portables I can carry under my arm.
I,ll sort some pics out.
Cheers
John

Sidharth Kodikal
01-06-2014, 06:06 PM
Thanks John. Is the eye on the buzzard this jet black and glassy in real life? Wish there was a bit more detail/depth in it.

John Robinson
01-06-2014, 06:16 PM
It justdepends on the light. It is central black with an amber surround .All the shots taken with the bird looking right have more detail. Looking this way when the suns in it gets shaded by the quite prominant eyebrows which birds of prey tend to have. I could alter it to show some but I don'tlike too much changing of things from how it was. It looks much better in a large version and others when there was a bit of weak sunlight from the right. I may post another later so you willsee what I mean.

Rachel Hollander
01-06-2014, 07:12 PM
Certainly looks like it came together nicely for you. The feathers really add to the image.

TFS,
Rachel

Don Lacy
01-06-2014, 09:17 PM
Great moment captured here John, like the others I find the feathers add a touch to the overall image.

adrian dancy
01-06-2014, 10:41 PM
I'm glad you were not in 'Dire Straits'. It certainly all came together!

arash_hazeghi
01-07-2014, 01:55 AM
This is great, love the drama and the story the image tells. all techs are good. you had a great opportunity and you made the most out of it

great work TFS

catalani giovanni
01-07-2014, 06:28 AM
Great photos.

John Robinson
01-07-2014, 08:15 AM
Thanks all.
here's an out of focus example of the head at a slightly different'angle where you can see a bit mre eye detail.
cheers
john

Daniel Cadieux
01-07-2014, 10:58 AM
What a great and unexpected opportunity this setup gave you! Nice write up too, I felt like I was there. Love the feather litter and the raptor's pose...foot on prey as if declaring it all his.

Marina Scarr
01-07-2014, 06:48 PM
This image is just over the top, Johnny...just amazing behavior/action you've captured here. What a story it tells!

Holger Leyrer
01-10-2014, 03:55 PM
WOW! Really great image. Love the catch light in the eye, pose and the feathers in the air.