View Full Version : Another from White Sands

Ian Cassell
01-06-2014, 01:11 PM
Canon 30D
Sigma 10-20mm @ 20mm

CS6

David Stephens
01-06-2014, 05:02 PM
I love the delicate whites and greys, with nice green and blue accents. The side-light is perfect for displaying the texture in the sand. You've even got a nice little puffy cloud at the top to add interest in the sky. Sorry, but I don't have any ways to improve this.

Don Railton
01-06-2014, 07:09 PM
Hi Ian

This is quite beautiful... I love the smooth contours and subtle colour gradients ... In terms of composition I like the foreground anchor and its shadow, but I would have included all (but I think I would have preferred none) of the bush on the RH border. I think you might have lightened the shadows a little as unfortunately there is a bit of noise appearing here and I think a slight blue cast. I would have preferred the shadows a little deeper, easy fix. Did you do any other compositions with more sky??

Beautiful image, well done..

DON

Don Lacy
01-06-2014, 10:17 PM
Hi Ian, Love the textures in the sand and the S curves through out the frame and the slight amount of sky. I would definitely crop out the bush in the RHS

Ian Cassell
01-06-2014, 11:10 PM
I had a small series. This one has a slightly different view. I'm not really sure how to deal with that cluster of bushes on the right. I'm not sure I like this one better as it clips the plant on the left.

Don Railton
01-06-2014, 11:17 PM
Hello Ian

I too prefer the OP without the clipped foreground bush over the RP. I think the fix is to crop out the bush on the RHS border...

DON

David Stephens
01-06-2014, 11:32 PM
I think you lost the purity of the colors with the RP. Forget about a little noise and go with your original, perhaps with the plant on the right cropped out.

Andrew McLachlan
01-12-2014, 08:36 PM
H Ian, I too prefer the original post...ideally I would prefer no clouds in the sliver of blue sky, which you almost had in the repost. The clipped bush on the right does not bother me too much as it looks like it was cut in half and not just missed by a smidgen. In the repost I wonder if you could have taken two steps backwards and a couple to the right to fit in both the grasses on the left and the bush on the right.

Dvir Barkay
01-18-2014, 05:46 PM
Very nice shot. I am not sure whether to crop out the sky or not. The curves of the dunes are really nice though. I do want to add that if you look at the plant it looks rather grainy, so I am not sure if that has to do with the sharpening.