PDA

View Full Version : Just landed

Joe Moran
05-12-2008, 12:21 PM
This Image was taken with Nikon D-300, a 200 -400 lens hand held on a moving boat down in the everglades at flamingo park. I blured the backround in photoshop. I am a beginner with photo shop. Tech notes F/10 at 1/350 second, 280 mm ISO 200.

Brian Wong
05-12-2008, 02:11 PM
Hi Joe!

I like the upwing position, and it looks like you exposed well in hard light. I like the idea of trying to simplify the image with a background blur. The image looks very soft on my screen, and could be due to motion from a combination of handheld, and/or moving boat.

I would suggest to try for a much faster shutter speed than 1/350 ... plus, that will also help when the Osprey takes off! Your D-300 should easily handle larger ISO 200.

Also, to help you get more of a "in-camera" blur, try opening up your aperture from F/10.

Nonda Surratt
05-12-2008, 04:27 PM
Joe,

When I saw the thumb of this image it was OH wow!, really nice colors and lots to like. Agree with Brian it looks very soft here and agree with his thoughts on it.

Alfred Forns
05-12-2008, 06:00 PM
Big Welcome Joe !!!!

I like the pose and exposure !!! As mentioned you did very well with the light Ospreys are difficult to expose !!

Would suggest posting at the max size of 800 pixels and we just went to 200kb Will make a huge difference. Difficult to judge at the small size. Agree the image is soft probably from the slow shutter speed. At 280 your effective focal length was 392.

Would not hesitate using a higher ISO and wider lens aperture. No need to stop down to f 10.0 Most of the time I am wide open even with converters. If there is enough light will stop down one.

The PS (blurring) work is fine but does not look natural. You need to blur the bg in a way it could have been done in camera. Like exposing at f10 like you did and making the bg seemed like it was f4.0 This is one is beyond. Bird wise we always like for the bird to be slightly turned to the focal plane, this one is looking away. Looking forward to many more images!!!

Gus Cobos
05-13-2008, 07:24 AM
Joe ,
Big Welcome to BPN family...:) I like your capture, Agree with the increase in shutter speed and it needs a bit more sharpening...:D

Oscar Zangroniz
05-13-2008, 05:38 PM
Great capture on this shot. Agree with Gus in needing more shutter.
Big welcome.