PDA

View Full Version : Blue Tit

John Robinson
01-05-2014, 05:01 PM
Blue Tit through the kitchen window. Not done much for a while. The Autumny back drop is in fact beech leaves which have stayed on the hedge. Not to everyones taste but I don't particularly like the plain background jobs
D7100
Nikor 70-300

&0% of full frame.
800 ISO
125th @f9
Neat Image, post-processing in Paint Shop Pro 7

All the best to all for 2014 and the future. A lot are far worse off than us worrying about a few pictures.
Thanks for your comments
John

Henry Domke
01-05-2014, 05:12 PM
All the best to all for 2014 and the future
And to you too!

The face-foreword pose makes it tricky to have enough depth-of-field to keep the bill in focus.
Have you every tried shooting these tiny birds with a higher aperture?

If the softness of the bill is due to the bird moving rather than a shallow depth-of-field then a higher ISO might allow you to use a faster shutter speed.

John Robinson
01-05-2014, 05:29 PM
Thanks Henry
Taken under terrible light conditions so not much I can do. I couldtry a bit of selective sharpening I suppose.
Cheers
John R

Henry Domke
01-05-2014, 06:06 PM
Taken under terrible light conditions so not much I can do
You shot this at ISO 800. The D7100 has a regular ISO range of 100-6400.
With careful attention to noise reduction surely you could use a higher ISO.

Just food for thought...

John Robinson
01-05-2014, 06:58 PM
Just found a one with a different head turn.
JR

Don Lacy
01-05-2014, 08:49 PM
HI Johnny, I much prefer the second image over the first from the vertical comp to the looser framing of the subject. I do wish you had a better head angle and I also feel the image is a little flat and the subject colors look dull. I played around with it i n PS and using curve adjustments and a few layer mask I did the following
Adjusted the white point for the entire image
Brighten the whites on the Tit only
applied NR on the BG only
Selectively sharpen the Tit only

Jonathan Ashton
01-06-2014, 09:18 AM
Johnny I like the background and the second shot is sharper than the first. I would suggest head angle somewhere between the two images would be optimal, just a slight head turn being ideal.

Holger Leyrer
01-06-2014, 11:30 AM
Hmm, in this case i think the softness of the bill works well. The eye is sharp and perch and BG are great.
I like this Image.

catalani giovanni
01-06-2014, 12:26 PM
A bit soft.
Equally beautiful.
The third version is the best

adrian dancy
01-06-2014, 10:35 PM
I prefer your second image. I think however, because the day robbed you of light, your working of the image is nearer to the truth of the scene. I think the happy medium may be somewhere between yours and Don's.

John Robinson
01-07-2014, 01:21 PM
Thanks all. I am not much of a pp man but I feel the third one is a little too much. The Blue Tits around here certainly are not that bright.
Interesting view though.
Cheers
JohnR