PDA

View Full Version : Think Tank Airport Accelerator?

Jim Keener
01-05-2014, 03:57 PM
Greetings,

I'm looking for candidates for a bag to hold a 500mm f/4, 1DX, 70-200mm f/2.i8, and 24-70mm f/2.8. Camera not attached. Of the bags I've reviewed (various Gura Gear and LowePro), the Accelerator stands out.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/airport-accelerator.aspx

I'm posting this to see if anyone has experience using this bag.

Regards,
Jim

David Stephens
01-06-2014, 03:35 PM
I use the TT Airport International v. 2.0 with very happy results. I've loaded and carried the 500/f4, 70-200/f4, 24-105mm, 5D2 and 7D, plus flash, two TCs and other odds and ends with no problems. It fits great in the overheads, both US and European. TT was one of the first with roller bags. My only complaint is that the retractable handle seems more flexible than I'd like for all the weight. They warn against lifting by the handle when it's extended. At these prices, I'd think that they'd beef that up. Still, despite that concern, I'm very happy.

Markus Hanika
01-10-2014, 03:49 PM
Hi Jim,

i'm also in the market for an large carry-on bag which looks not bulky/heavy. (Finally it should fit 600f4 or 200-400f4 + 70-200f2.8 + 24-70 / 24-105 and two bodies)
So the TT AA, Gura Gear Bataflae / Kiboko were on my list
As you stated that the TT stands out - could you tell why (expect that the Gura Gear is more expensive)?

BR
Markus

John Chardine
01-10-2014, 07:52 PM
I have the TT Airport International, which is a little smaller than TT's "normal" rollers. it certainly fits in almost all aircraft I have flown in (except the Embraer 175) and will carry the gear you list Jim. The main issue I have with the bag (other than the flimsy handle as mentioned, but which has never broken yet) is the empty weight- you are starting with 11 lbs or about 5kg so with any amount of gear you are over the carry-on weight limit. Having said this, I have never been called-out on the basis of carry-on weight. For my next trip I'm going to take my Gura Gear Kiboko 30L bag which weighs 4 lbs/3 kg empty. I'll buy a light weight retractable roller to move in airports. So long as I do not have to "sky check" the Kiboko (I don't), I'll be happy.

Jim Keener
01-11-2014, 12:30 AM
I think I should have been more specific. I want a backpack, not a roller bag. I have GG and TT bags of different sizes and purposes. I prefer TT. It's the zippers. YMMV. But. if the GG Kiboko 30L or Bataflae 32L is a better bag than the TT International Accelerator, I want to go with GG. I don't know.

Juan Carlos Vindas
02-02-2014, 08:59 PM
Jim I recently bought the TT AA to carry a 600f/4, Pro camera body, 300f/4, flash, TC's and other photographic stuff, besides I am carring my laptop, large batery charger for camera body, better beamer and other things. My experience is that I simply love this backpack! very well built, confortable, and the best if you want to use it as a carry on. Just my two cents. :)
I checked the other brands and even own a Lowepro backpack that has served me pretty well for the last 5 years but is not deep enough to carry my 600f/4.

Jim Keener
02-03-2014, 01:50 AM
Thank you, Juan Carlos. One of the things I like about the TT AA is that I can stand up a pro camera with L-bracket attached, 500mm, 24-70mm, and 70-200mm lenses. Plus TCs and other stuff. By the way, "other stuff" is a technical term that I won't go into now. I haven't weighed it loaded, but it's heavy, as I knew it would be. This is what I was looking for: a pack that I can load the lenses and camera I would expect to use during a day. I've had two friends have gear stolen from their cars at a trail head. One of them twice, and my defense is to take it with me. The TT AA works for me.