PDA

View Full Version : Alstroemeria??

Don Jacobs
01-05-2014, 11:38 AM
I shot this using the 1DIV, 28-70@ 70mm, ISO 100, 1/2 sec, f/18.0, fill light used. I was trying to get a bit tighter bunch of these but they seem to have a mind of their own so this is the "tightest" bunch I could find. C&C greatly appreciated.
http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww103/deerlvr_2009/ea53e764-11d2-4c5a-af79-b6e5387b55e7_zps4fc7bead.jpg (http://s710.photobucket.com/user/deerlvr_2009/media/ea53e764-11d2-4c5a-af79-b6e5387b55e7_zps4fc7bead.jpg.html)

Nancy Bell
01-05-2014, 05:19 PM
I understand what you most likely wanted with a tighter bunch, but I like the composition of the two somewhat separate bunches. Within each bunch is a lovely array of a blossoms with good DOF. I especially like the spots inside the blossoms radiating outwards, in the same direction as each group of blossoms face. The green stems have a lovely arrangement of their own. I would consider cloning over that one bright spot on the stems where it looks like a blossom was broken off. Another possibility for cropping would be to add to the top and bottom and reduce the sides, as the right group of flowers appear to be facing upwards and the left groups downwards. A very lovely image with beautiful lighting & colors!

Mitch Haimov
01-06-2014, 08:56 PM
These flowers have a lot going on, making them interesting subjects. Looks like you would have had your tighter bunch if there weren't broken stems--could you have moved the camera a bit to the side so as to hide them without ruining your comp? Since they're there, you may want to consider doing something to deemphasize them. I also wish you had more of the main stem in the image as it feels a little tight at the bottom to me, while the sides (especially the right) could be tighter; a vertical may have worked well.

Diane Miller
01-07-2014, 04:28 PM
Gorgeous light and detail on the flowers, and a great composition. Well done!

Jonathan Ashton
01-12-2014, 07:56 AM
Lovely exposure and colours, I like the composition too, the black background does not enhance the image though for me. I appreciate I am inconsistent with black backgrounds - sometimes I like them sometimes I don't so if you do that's just fine.

Steve Maxson
01-15-2014, 03:59 PM
Hi Don. These are beautiful flowers and you have excellent sharpness throughout. The lighting is nicely done and the black background works well (and like Jon, I'm inconsistent about black backgrounds). The light tip of the broken stem(s) tends to draw my eye - and then I think "There's a broken stem there." I think this very strong image would be even better if you toned down or cloned those light tips - a minor point, but an easy fix.