PDA

View Full Version : The Lake Trail

Cheryl Slechta
01-04-2014, 05:50 PM
I've started a personal project called "The Path Less Followed" and most of the times I'm using a long exposure and walking with the camera in front of me. Recently I discovered an app for my iPhone that lets me use a long exposure and it is easier when I hike to use my phone instead of lugging a camera and gear around. This was taken yesterday during a hike on the Lake Trail at Paynes Prairie State Preserve near my home. I converted to black and white in Topaz and used a platinum setting. You can create a lot of texture using this app and this one was done with a slow pan and slight back and forth movement. I was standing still for this one. The images that I've been taking don't all lend themselves to black and white but the ones that do remind me of some of the photographs from the early 1900's by Steichen, etc. I know this won't be everyone's cup of tea but I feel like my path is headed in a different direction this new year:S3:

Nancy Bell
01-04-2014, 07:51 PM
Too funny that an iPhone is becoming as much a camera as a phone! It is certainly much, much lighter. I am a big fan of blurs and abstracts and I really like the lines and tones in this; especially all those spikey lines in the lower right part. I also like that I can still recognize a hint of the "real scene". I suspect your "path less traveled" will inspire us all to expand.

Dennis Bishop
01-04-2014, 08:48 PM
I think you might be headed in a good direction, Cheryl. Even more than in your Santa Fe Shadows posting, there's a strong element of uncertainty on the viewer's part, and that's often a good thing. It's certainly abstract but well-enough grounded that I can identify some things although others are a mystery. From just a visual standpoint, I like the flow and the texture. Enjoy the journey and be sure to send us some post cards.

gary ellwein
01-04-2014, 09:38 PM
Cheryl, I'm looking forward to future posting from your journey.

Diane Miller
01-05-2014, 12:48 AM
This is MY cup of tea! Love it, and looking forward to your travel journal!!

Anita Bower
01-07-2014, 05:28 PM
I think it is wonderful that you have started a personal project and that you are going your own way. Who knows where it will lead?
As you know, I'm not fond of blurs. This one does have a pleasing composition to it created by the textures and the darker and lighter area. Effective in B&W.
Looking forward to more.