PDA

View Full Version : gimbal head

Wendy Kates
01-04-2014, 04:36 PM
I am considering buying the Lensmaster RH-1 gimbal head, which is a side-mount head. It is very affordable, and I've read good reviews, but just wanted to check on BPN as well. I have a Canon 7D, and a 300mm f/4 lens that I use with a 1.4 extender. I may upgrade to a 500mm lens at some point, but probably not very soon. I use an Induro C-113 tripod. I'd appreciate it if you could let me know your experiences with the Lensmaster RH-1, and whether you think it is compatible with my current (and potentially the future 500mm) gear.

Sol Shamilzadeh
01-05-2014, 12:00 PM
Do you honestly want to "clean and add grease" to maintain this as the copy says on their website?
There is a very valid reason why so many photographers migrate toward Gimball heads that are self contained.
While I do not own the very popular Wimberly head, I do own the ProMediaGear "Katana" which uses ball bearings.
There is a reason why these are so expensive. Having said that, there are always compromises to be made with
budgetary constraints. Good luck.

Karl Egressy
01-05-2014, 05:44 PM
For the 300 f4.0 +1.4x and 7D a larger gimbal would be an overkill.
However, there is one that is relatively cheap, not too big for the 300 and big enough for the 500.
Jobu Design makes it here in Canada.
It is called: Jubu Heavy Duty MK III.
A factory second one goes for three hundred and the change right now.
It uses ball bearings and is as smooth as it can be.
My wife has one and she loves it.

Wendy Kates
01-06-2014, 08:19 AM
Hi Karl,

I just checked the website under Clearouts. The Jobu Heavy Duty MK III is selling for Canadian $519. It's the Jobu Jr. Kit that is selling for $329. Would that be appropriate for my set-up, or overkill? Also, do you know if these come with plates, or if I would have to buy those separately?

Wendy

Karl Egressy
01-06-2014, 10:21 AM
Hi Wendy,

As of today I no longer see the low price on factory second.
Call them, talk to Ian and tell that Karl, Ray Barlow's friend advised you last night that there was a factory second available at $300 and the change (don't remember the exact amount but it was like 29 or 39)
He should give you the price if they still have factory seconds. (Minor flaws only)
Yes, you will have to buy a plate as well.
I hope this will help but someone might just have bought the last one of the factory seconds.