PDA

View Full Version : Hold the ice!

Anette Mossbacher
01-03-2014, 03:27 PM
Happy New Year everybody :w3

Iceberg somewhere far north of Svalbard on the way to the pack ice. It was huge, at least 200m long, wide… no idea :S3:
The very first huge ice berg I have seen in my life. Since I was 80% of the trip always outside I saw it coming closer & closer, but never thought that it is sooooooo big, wow. This one was just the beginning, bigger ones came along! Breath taking and making me quite a lot of thinking about the Arctic and Antarctica!

Taken from moving boat, overcast as you see here. The bird came in this one very handy as so many birds on this trip :S3:

Full Frame, no crop. Hand held

Lightroom 5 the usual till nearly finished. PS levels, mid tone, sharpening for web

1 DX
f/9.0 1/800 ISO 1000
70-200mm at 200mm

David Stephens
01-03-2014, 03:54 PM
I like that you picked a nice area of interest, with lots of fissures, various ice colors and a hint of the under-water part showing. The gull flying toward the right side gives us some sense of scale. I would have liked cropping out more of the water on the topside, but then the gull would have gotten too near the edge, so I like your compromise here, sticking with the original crop. I find icebergs tough subjects where I never get the sense of scale I wanted or the range of colors, but I think you've achieved much with this shot of a tough subject.

andresleon
01-03-2014, 04:35 PM
Happy new year Anette!
Love the detail on the ice edges. I can't tell if the area above is sky of water. Regardless, the overall color is very serene and chilling, it made me want to put on a sweeter! I don't know if the aura around the top edge of the iceberg is natural or due to the post-processing. It's a beautiful shot.

Anette Mossbacher
01-03-2014, 05:02 PM
Thank you very much David and Andre,

the area above the ice, I only could darken it, which I personally do not prefer. That is how it was. I like it that way. Certainly not a made effect by me in PS :)

ciao
Anette

Don Railton
01-04-2014, 03:04 AM
This is very Beautiful Anette... The bird make this for me along with the detail in the ice face...

Best regards for the new Year

DON

Rachel Hollander
01-04-2014, 09:36 AM
Hi Anette - you know I like this one and all the different hues of blue. The only thing I might try is to bring out a bit more detail on the top of the iceberg. I think it is there.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
01-04-2014, 11:26 AM
Hi Anette, great capture, love that silky, smooth, almost polished glass you capture in the ice. The dark, ominous banding sky also brings another dimension, but it's the solitary gull that for me, really makes the image, one cracking shot!

TFS
Steve

Anette Mossbacher
01-04-2014, 02:23 PM
Hi Steve & Rachel,

thanks so much for your comments & time :tinysmile_shy_t:

Rachel, I worked on the top of the iceberg, as it looks, I was more interested in the wall :w3 Might pull it out again with my new soul keeper :t3

Steve, the sky gave me a bit thinking with this brighter line just above the iceberg. Thought that someone would jump on messy brushing, but I do love it, gives a sort of glow. The birds there are really working with you, when you spot them through the camera :w3

Thanks so much you two

Have a great eve

Ciao
Anette

Anette Mossbacher
01-04-2014, 04:56 PM
Hi Don,

thanks so much for your comment & time. Must have overseen your comment at my last stop by. Sorry for that. :e3

Have a great weekend

Ciao
Anette

Andrew McLachlan
01-05-2014, 07:27 PM
Hi Anette, I just love the razor sharp details in the ice berg's edge...might explore extracting a few extra details on top as Rachel mentions...other than that this is one cool image :S3:

dankearl
01-06-2014, 12:08 AM
I like it all, especially the Gull at the top.

Morkel Erasmus
01-06-2014, 02:42 AM
The best iceberg shot I've seen in quite a while! Love that gull too - brings it all together.
Well done Anette, and best in 2014 for you!! :5 :cheers:

Anette Mossbacher
01-06-2014, 04:04 AM
Hi Andrew, Dan and Morkel,

thanks so much for your kind comments & time :bg3:

Andrew, I am not sure if I should get more detail out of the top, have some thoughts on that :w3

Thanks so much guys

Have a great start into the week and for sure into 2014 :wave:

Ciao
Anette