PDA

View Full Version : Deep Freeze

Paul Lagasi
01-03-2014, 12:20 AM
-27C or -17F doesn't matter which...its darn cold here at home.

Hope everyone had a great Festive Season and wishing You All a great 2014.

I'll be zooming down to Florida for the last 6 days of my Big Year, hoping to cross the 500 barrier.
I will stop at Paynes Prairie, Orlando, Tampa, Miami and the Keys.

Its almost over....Here is my thread of snow..It shows a Horned Lark in a blizzard, one of the first birds I counted on my Year

Ciao for now

James, I hope to have enough time to collect my prize but if I can't a coffee would be fine.

Diane Miller
01-03-2014, 01:04 PM
Very evocative, but how does a bird survive in temps like that? I get chilled just looking at it.

Nancy Bell
01-03-2014, 02:12 PM
Love the minimalist look with just a hint of shadow at the base of the bird. These are hardy birds and I see them often in the snow in open, windswept places. Not sure about the eye. It looks a bit funky on my screen.

Heading south is certainly a good direction to take!

Jackie Schuknecht
01-03-2014, 06:30 PM
Beautiful bird Paul. I love the red eye and the little shadow beneath the body. Love the simplicity of the comp as well.

Cheryl Slechta
01-03-2014, 07:27 PM
Paul, I love the simplicity of the composition. I don't know how they survive! I'm 15 minutes from Paynes Prairie so give me a shout when you're headed that way:S3:

Paul Lagasi
01-04-2014, 01:29 PM
Thank You, for comments...I've also wondered just what they are able to find to eat but they seem to do well in the harshest of weather. Cheryl for sure, I'll know better once I plan my trip in more detail.

Anita Bower
01-04-2014, 04:28 PM
I thought it was cold here at 0 degrees Fahrenheit this morning!
Great shot. I like the simplicity of the bird in the snow, with the feet sunk in the snow, the feathers fluffed up. The only thing bothering me is the eye. I like the colors, but as I looked closer, I couldn't see any detail in the eye, just a blob of color.
Did you get your 500 bird photos? Your quest is amazing!

Paul Lagasi
01-04-2014, 06:14 PM
Thank You Anita, not sure what I was going for with the funky eye....

I am at 628 species in the ABA (American Birding Association) area, which takes in all of Canada and the USA for my life totals.

From Jan. 22nd/2013 to today I have seen 478 species. Of course I did this, while holding down a full time job. I will try to finish with over 500 species with a trip to Florida in 11 days.

Thank You for the comment

Cheryl Slechta
01-04-2014, 06:21 PM
Hi, Paul, there has been a Snowy Owl at Little Talbot Island north of St. Augustine for the last several days - only the second sighting ever in Florida (or so they say). She's an immature female. Of course, you see lots of them but I thought it was interesting.:S3:

gary ellwein
01-04-2014, 09:09 PM
Paul, your image nicely conveys the harsh environment these little guys experience in winter. I am having a bit of difficulty accounting for the red eye. Good luck with the completion of your big year.

Judy Howle
01-05-2014, 11:48 AM
I like the high key look. What a hardy bird! I would be tempted to add some falling snowflakes :bg3: If it were mine I would add a bit of red paint to the eye. I didn't notice the color until someone mentioned it, and maybe a little bit of highlighting. I usually enhance the red eyes of coots and kites.