PDA

View Full Version : 5D Canon III for Avian shooting.

Karl Egressy
01-01-2014, 07:13 PM
I sold my 7D camera that I used for nothing other than having a spare one just in case.
I have enough money now to buy a 5D M III new but I will wait for a price drop.
The other option would be to sell my 1D MIV (that I actually like and hate selling anything) and buy a 1D X.
I lean towards keeping the 1D MIV and buying the 5D MIII but I would be interested in other's opinion on this.
I have a new 500 f4.0 and new extenders and also have a 400 f5.6 L.
My BIF shooting represents about ten percent of the total.
Thanks for your input.

arash_hazeghi
01-01-2014, 08:22 PM
Hi Karl, before I can help you I need to know what is it that you want to achieve by buying a 5d3? Just a backup camera or something else?

David Salem
01-01-2014, 11:18 PM
Hey Karl,

Hope all is well and you have a happy new year.

I have/had the exact same stuff you do. Main body is/was a MkIV and a 7D as a backup. A 500Mki and a 1.4 both are the MkI.

As Arash asked, what are you expecting to get from the 5DIII ?

I just upgraded to a 1DX and it was the best move for me and it might be for you too. The MkiV is a great body and has the crop factor but the auto focus of the 1DX is faster and more accurate. I have only had the new body for a few weeks but I can see and feel the difference in the focusing, It gives me a higher keeper rate.

I was afraid to make the change because I didnt want to lose the crop factor but after shooting with Arash a few weeks ago, I realized that even without the crop factor, the 1DX had more sharp shots. Without being sharp, everything else dosnt matter.

I think you are a serious about your photography so get the 1DX if you can, you wont regret it.

Hope this helps

David

Karl Egressy
01-02-2014, 05:37 AM
Thanks Arash, thanks, David.
To be honest, I don't want to achieve anything other than having fun with photography.
I retired from the business part of it as of December 2013.
As far as the 5D MIII is concerned, I thought, it would be a good alternative when the light situation is such
and I also thought that having two cameras is better than having only one.
It happened to me before during a trip that my camera died and I did not have a spare one.
It's a hard decision. I won't rush it for sure. That's why I want to hear other's opinion.
Thanks again.

arash_hazeghi
01-02-2014, 11:10 AM
Hi Karl, if you are happy with what you have and your goal is to have fun I would pick a used cheap backup and then spend the money on a workshop or a photo tour where you can see and photograph new species and get to meet new people. I don't think a new camera will make you happy.

John Chardine
01-02-2014, 12:44 PM
Hi Karl- My personal opinion would be to hold off until Canon makes some announcements about new bodies, which are supposed to come in 2014. Either they bring one out that fits your needs or prices on second hand existing bodies tanks as people who want the latest and greatest dump their current, perfectly good bodies.

Tareq Alhamrani
01-02-2014, 01:25 PM
If you really want my honest answer or advise or recommendation, then i will tell you go with 1DX all the way, forget 5D3, in fact the only main feature with 5D3 i would like to have is more mp....ONLY, anything else i see 1DX is a winner, i know many will choose cheaper price and lighter weight of 5D3 as a winner, but for me i never look back less than 1-series body design and the price is worthy.

I shoot sports, so i have that action closer to wildlife or birds, and i was shooting with 1D2n and 1D3 before i upgraded to 1DX and WOW, i felt like i was in darkness with 1D2n and just have flashlight with 1D3, but with 1DX i moved to the light, so i really highly recommending 1DX over 5D3, or even over 1D4 for birding and wildlife.

Karl Egressy
01-02-2014, 02:17 PM
Thank you all again taking your time dealing with my problem.
It is very nice of you and I mean it.
I'll wait and try to convince myself.
It took me almost a year saying that I would never buy the new 500 as it is so expensive and I ended up buying one.
Same could happen with the 1D X.
I know it is a great camera.
Thanks again.