PDA

View Full Version : Anyone see my photo in the 5/8 Washington Post?

Jim Poor
05-12-2008, 08:47 AM
I haven't yet, but I'm going to try to get a copy. (Do bookstores keep back issues?)

Anyway, this brings me a mini-dilemma. The photo was used without my knowledge, yet it was a photo that I had taken for a charity (dog rescue) group. I figure the photo is donated and I don't event consider compensation for it.

I would, however, like to have some say in the processing (I could have supplied the RAW or a hi-res version) and hope that I got a photo credit. We'll see.

I don't want to come across the wrong way and "demand" that they come to me for such use in the future, but I am thinking about "offering" to "provide Hi-res files, properly converted to B&W etc in the future. This will allow for presenting the dogs in the best possible light . . . "

Do you all think that is a good way to handle it?

The sad thing is that the photo was used in a "Precious Pets" add for Murphy http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10992 who has since been de-listed from adoption availability because she is in end stage kidney failure. :(

I'm thinking of doing something with the pictures I supplied to the group as well as some of the others as a sort of tribute.

Robert O'Toole
05-12-2008, 08:17 PM
Sorry to hear that Jim, problem is that no one will see the credit correction even if they do run it. If it was paying jpb and the contract incl credit the fee is double the rate in some cases.

I have had this happen before so I know how you feel although my image was a back cover of a surfing magazine! The company was an international mega company so they didnt pay a penny more for the no credit fee even though the contract (their contract) specified it.

Robert

Jim Poor
05-13-2008, 05:59 AM
I'm not sure whether or not a credit was given as I have yet to see the image.

I'm hoping someone will send me a copy & save me a trip to DC.

Robert Amoruso
05-13-2008, 07:02 AM
Call the paper Jim and get a copy mailed to you. Most papers have copies for that reason. But do it soon.