PDA

View Full Version : Alpine Glow

Andrew Merwin
12-31-2013, 02:57 PM
Canon Eos 1D Mark IV, ISO 400, +.067 ev, f/5.6, 1/250, Gitzo tripod, 100-400@400mm, FF.

I made this image in early Oct. (10/4) after the 2nd. or 3rd. snowfall of the season. It was shot shortly after sunset looking east. The color is the reflection of the sunset’s brilliant red skies (alpine glow) on the snowy mountain slopes of the Bridger Range in SW MT. The birds are a flock of Canada Geese. And yes, this is an accurate representation of the color as I remember experiencing it. The image is sharpened with curves, levels & WB adjustments.

David Stephens
12-31-2013, 09:13 PM
Yes, I've seen such color here in the Colorado Rocky Mountains. The only thing that I might have tried different is a 2 to 1 crop, cutting out some of the bottom part of the mountain that's showing, putting more emphasis on the geese and sky. Just a thought.

Rachel Hollander
01-01-2014, 12:06 PM
Hi Andrew - Happy New Year! Beautiful color. I was in Colorado that weekend but didn't see such gorgeous color and light. I like the way the two ridges form a v at the bottom of the frame and the leading lines as a result so if it were mine I would not crop from the bottom. I do think you can punch it up a bit more if you want with some LCE or with a curves adjustment.

TFS,
Rachel

Andrew McLachlan
01-01-2014, 07:27 PM
Hi Andrew, nicely done...I like the comp as is...and agree with Rachel on some LCE to the mountain range and maybe a tad darker too.

Bill Jobes
01-02-2014, 10:15 AM
Living in the low-mountain East, I'd never seen such beauty. The colors look almost other-worldly.

Your image is a nice reminder that, when shooting sunsets, turn around 180 degrees or so to see what's there !

Anette Mossbacher
01-03-2014, 03:13 PM
Hi Andrew,

Happy New Year

love the color and mood in this one. I as well agree with a bit more punch to this one. Comp looks great to me

Have a great eve

Ciao
Anette

Don Lacy
01-05-2014, 09:37 PM
HI Andrew, Wonderful color and line of Geese are a nice added element I think a slight mid tone adjustment down would do wonders to the image.