PDA

View Full Version : Converting to TIFF format

Victor Soares
05-12-2008, 05:00 AM
Hey guys,

I am currently unhappy with the results achieved with my current workflow and have decided to revisit and refine my workflow.

One thing that I have noticed is that alot of prople convert their images to TIFF format, somewhere along the workflow line.

Now the questions:
- When do you convert to TIFF ?
- These are huge files, do you then keep flattening your image ?
- What are the advantages of working with TIFF ?

Thanks for the help.
Vic

Doug West
05-12-2008, 06:08 AM
1. I convert as soon as I open the original.
2. The only time I flatten is if I need to ship the file somewhere, post it, etc.
If you flatten, then any changes you do, will have to be done all over again.
3. The ability to work in 16 bit, lossless format, among others.

Doug

Alfred Forns
05-12-2008, 08:04 AM
Hi Victor

It all depends on the software you are using. I'm using LithtRoom so I don't convert the images at all unless they are being posted/printed. I think programs like this are the wave of the future.

If you do convert to TIFF and do lots of work to your image you do have to make a choice. If you do a lot of printing and often find yourself going back/changing an image then keeping the image at 16 bit with layers makes sense.

If you rarely go back and make further changes I would strongly suggest to flatten and convert to 8 bit. Files are smaller. In the even you need to go back and make changes to one of the tiffs you would have to start from scratch. btw that is the beauty of working with LightRoom !!!

There is no best method just the one that suits your work flow.

Jim Poor
06-26-2008, 06:11 AM
I'm surprised that nobody mentioned that with a TIFF file, you can do multiple edits and saves without reducing image quality through JPG compression.