PDA

View Full Version : Hummingbird Portrait

Terry Johnson
12-29-2013, 03:38 AM
http://www.tj622.com/images/TLJ_1454-1-small.jpg

This image was taken 122813 near dusk in my back yard, Nikon D800, 70-200mm F2.8 zoom with 1.4X teleconverter, focal length of image 280mm, 1/125 of a second, ISO-125, SB-910 flash. Approximately 10 feet from bird.

Thanks for viewing...Terry Johnson:S3:

Daniel Cadieux
12-29-2013, 09:02 PM
Hi Terry, this is quite a beautiful lady hummingbird! Neat thin perch for it too, and I'm OK with the rest of the branches. Not so keen on the BG oof ones though but it looks like from that spot there is not much to do to avoid them and the subject is a bit steep in the frame (it was perched quite higher than eye-level). Nice colours and sharp as posted...and the subject is well placed in the frame.

Henry Domke
12-29-2013, 09:57 PM
The flash is so intense that it does not seem natural to my eyes. The eye does not seem to be tack sharp on this low rez image (might be wrong about that).

I agree with Daniel that getting closer to eye-level would be more appealing.

Terry Johnson
12-30-2013, 12:41 AM
Daniel and Henry, thanks for the replies. I agree with both of you and your comments. I would like to have had an opportunity for an eye level shot, however, the opportunity did not present itself. With respect to the brightness of the flash, it was dusk and difficult to adjust the flash to lessen the brightness without first seeing the effect on the PC monitor. After seeing the image I adjusted the flash, however, the hummingbird did not show herself again in the preferred location.

Thanks again for the input...Terry Johnson

Terry Johnson
12-30-2013, 12:46 AM
Daniel, I visited your website, You have a very broad display of birds and many of the shots are wonderful, nicely done...Terry Johnson

Daniel Cadieux
12-30-2013, 10:22 AM
Thank you Terry, and you are welcome. On my bucket list of things to do is to update my website with bigger images :-)