PDA

View Full Version : Snowy Owl

Jerry amEnde
12-28-2013, 04:41 PM
We, on the east coast of the US, have been treated with an unusual influx of Snow Owls this winter (called an irruption, I'm told). I've had several opportunities to capture these beautiful birds, but they always seem to be too distant and/or squinty eyes. This morning, just after sunrise, I was lucky enough to find this female - eyes wide open. Would have liked it to have a more natural perch, but hey! It's a Snowy!

Canon 1DX; 500mm F/4L IS USM; 1.4TC
F/7.1, 1/500, ISO 200
LR5: Cropping, tone adjustments, Added some highly feathered vignetting to darken the background & highlight the bird.

...Jerry

Arthur Morris
12-28-2013, 05:10 PM
Beautiful bird, sweet light, sharp with a perfect exposure. Love the open eyes and the talons. Excellent self-critique on the perch.... Thanks a stack for your membership support.

Jim Crosswell
12-28-2013, 06:07 PM
I like the exposure, light, eyes, BG, sharpness, details and composition minimizes the perch. Well done Jerry!

Marina Scarr
12-28-2013, 06:44 PM
Absolutely killer bird, exposure and details. You are absolutely right...it's a SNOWY OWL!!!!

arash_hazeghi
12-28-2013, 08:57 PM
I love the sweet light, view of talons and details, I also wish you had a better perch

David Salem
12-29-2013, 01:13 AM
If this were on a nice perch it would be one of the best Snowy Owl images you could ask for. The detail, light and exposure are perfect and the eyes are well lit. Looks like you were pretty close. Well done

Daniel Cadieux
12-30-2013, 10:37 AM
Good looking individual, and in beautiful light. I do think there are a few spots in the plumage that are hot, or very close to it...they could be toned in post. Agree for a better perch but one advantage you got here is a great view of the talons.