PDA

View Full Version : Time for a Pedicure

Marina Scarr
12-28-2013, 01:25 PM
Had the good fortune to photograph this Barred Owlet for a couple of hours the day before it fledged (flew for the first time). The actual cavity is a couple of feet below the perch, and it had climbed up the tree to go on a little adventure. This was a very difficult shoot b/c the light was extremely low and it wasn't possible to use flash. I really loved the environment surrounding this nest and thought it complemented the owls well.

Canon 1D4, Canon 500L
F4.5, 1/250sec, ISO 2000, manual mode
Feisol tripod, Jobu head

C & C are much welcomed and most appreciated.

John Rowell
12-28-2013, 01:53 PM
Beautiful exposure and that outstretched talon is amazing. He looks like something out of The Lord of the Rings. Would have been perfect to have the tree trunk on the right move just a tad so as not to break the outline of this little owl, but I guess only a sorcerer can move trees. I'd take this image any day. Fantastic job even with poor light conditions.

Doug Brown
12-28-2013, 04:01 PM
Great pose and nice habitat. I also like the branch with a bend in it in front of the tree trunk. Why was it not possible to use a little fill? It would have evened out your lighting, which is a little strong on top of the bird.

Jim Crosswell
12-28-2013, 04:03 PM
I like the setting, pose and IQ. Looks like he is learning how his talons work. Well done under challenging conditions Marina!

Marina Scarr
12-28-2013, 04:39 PM
Why was it not possible to use a little fill? It would have evened out your lighting, which is a little strong on top of the bird.

I was on a man's property who didn't feel comfortable with my using flash. Believe me, I was DYING to use flash.

Arthur Morris
12-28-2013, 05:32 PM
The raised foot makes it for me. I am betting that Marina had separation with the trunk until the bird leaned forward to scratch.... I think that the face could be brought up a bit....

Arthur Morris
12-28-2013, 05:35 PM
ps: a bit off the top and the bottom to get closer to 3X2 might work well. The boxy crop here does not work for me as the included areas top and bottom do not add....

Marina Scarr
12-28-2013, 06:42 PM
The raised foot makes it for me. I am betting that Marina had separation with the trunk until the bird leaned forward to scratch.... I think that the face could be brought up a bit....
a bit off the top and the bottom to get closer to 3X2 might work well. The boxy crop here does not work for me as the included areas top and bottom do not add....

You are right, Artie. Had perfect separation until the owlet dared to lean over. I brought up the face quite a bit...but I'll give it another whirl. Not a bad idea on the crop. I'll give in a try too. Thank you.

Arthur Morris
12-28-2013, 08:06 PM
Here it is at 3X2 with 100% NIK Detail Extractor and pulled the Curve up quite a bit on the face....

Marina Scarr
12-28-2013, 08:15 PM
Here it is at 3X2 with 100% NIK Detail Extractor and pulled the Curve up quite a bit on the face....

I like it a lot, Artie. Thank you. I must add that it doesn't look much like the original. It was quite dark and I was under the canopy during this shoot. Conditions were tough, but it was very exciting. You've brought this curious little guy to life!

Arthur Morris
12-28-2013, 08:19 PM
Thanks. For a good example of bringing an image to life check out "I Haven't the Foggiest... (http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2013/12/28/i-havent-the-foggiest-2/)"

Troy Lim
12-28-2013, 11:23 PM
Superb image indeed. Love the habitat showing here.

Holger Leyrer
12-29-2013, 04:33 AM
From the difficult situation you've done the best. And was rewarded with a beautiful photo.
I like the curious look on the claws.

christopher galeski
12-29-2013, 08:32 AM
nice one,like both post's,great pose.TFS.