PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Theme: Old Homestead in the snow

Nancy Bell
12-27-2013, 04:38 PM
This is part of a preserved homestead in Winter Park, CO. In the winter you can only reach it by cross-country skis or snowshoes. While carrying a camera it is safer for me to use snowshoes!

I lightened the original image 10 times using PS Curves pre-set "lighten". Then I applied a sepia filter (PS), a layer of Viveza structure, and Topaz detail 3.

Dennis Bishop
12-27-2013, 05:34 PM
Nice job with the snow. The footprints give it a less solitary look, and the changes in elevation of the snow in the foreground and on the roof add a lot. The overall pale look fits well with the snow and the age of the building. The trees in the background and the vegetation in the foreground give a good sense of depth. It's wonderful that places like that are preserved and accessible.

Jackie Schuknecht
12-28-2013, 09:21 AM
I like the subtle toning with the greens and browns. I love all the details, the wagonwheels, the ladder to the upper level. As mentioned great detail in the snow too. I am surprised it hasn't been vandalized.

Diane Miller
12-28-2013, 03:01 PM
I just got up get a sweater! Love the treatment! I know old buildings are wonky, but it feels like it needs a little CCW rotation.

Cheryl Slechta
12-28-2013, 04:35 PM
Hi, Nancy, I like the effect and the way you arrived at it. It looks a lot like an HDR image. I like the pale colors and the fine detail.:S3:

Judy Howle
12-28-2013, 07:10 PM
I like the light toning and nice brown and green colors. As Jackie said, you brought out a lot of detail which adds a lot to the image. Well done!

Arthur Morris
12-28-2013, 08:34 PM
I love the homestead, the soft colors, the detail, and the soft light. I could do without the scraggy foreground bushes and the footprints, and I would love a bit more room above.

LinzRiverBalmer
12-29-2013, 04:09 AM
I adore this, want to crawl inside and hibernate!!!

Nancy Bell
12-29-2013, 04:14 PM
Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions!

gary ellwein
12-30-2013, 03:29 PM
Nancy, you have captured that pale cold soft light associated with a lifting ice fog. Love the detail of the old buildings. Agree with Artie about a bit more room at the top. This looks like it would be a great shoot after a new snow. New project, first on the trail after the next big dump.

Nancy Bell
01-02-2014, 12:26 PM
"This looks like it would be a great shoot after a new snow. New project, first on the trail after the next big dump"

Actually I just returned from visiting this area for a few days, with kids and grandkids. I did not get a chance to snowshoe to this particular homestead because the wind chill was more than I wanted to endure:Whoa!:! But I did find some closer buildings to photograph and with fresh snow, as you suggest.

Anita Bower
01-03-2014, 06:32 PM
Nice job with the processing, bringing out the details in a low-key way. I like the angle of view. I agree about a slight CCW rotation. I like the different tones you used. Good for you for snowshoeing with your camera!

Nancy Bell
01-05-2014, 05:04 PM
Anita, you're right about the rotation. This image is just a bit off as is. I think someone else also mentioned this. I'd better get to it!