PDA

View Full Version : An Icy World

Andrew McLachlan
12-26-2013, 04:51 PM
Southern Ontario was just hit with a nasty bout of freezing rain that left hundreds of thousands of folks without hydro-electric power, fortunately my home, which is further north was spared any damage or hydro outages. On Christmas Eve day I went for a drive to see what images I might find and came across this scene along the Holland River south of my home. The trees in this image are coated with a heavy layer of ice.

Nikon D800
Nikon 18-35mm lens
ISO 400
f22 @ 1/1000 sec
Handheld with Virtual Horizon activated.

Look forward to comments.

Rachel Hollander
12-26-2013, 06:27 PM
Hi Andrew - this is very effective with the sunburst coming through the ice laden trees. Glad to hear that you didn't lose power or have any damage. Only issue for me with the image is the glow/halo around the tops of the trees in the distance where they meet the sky.

TFS,
Rachel

David Stephens
12-27-2013, 01:18 PM
I also like the sunburst coming through the trees and the low shadows on the snow. There looks to be a halo between the trees and sky in the distance. Is that a cloud, or is that a processing remnant? Either way, I'd try to get that sky a consistent shade of blue, all the way to the tops of the trees.

Great shot.

Gavin Slabbert
12-28-2013, 11:50 AM
The sunburst to me makes this image, and I too see the halo, my eye was drawn immediately to it due to the excellent leading line of the frozen river (I presume)

Anette Mossbacher
12-28-2013, 02:57 PM
Hi Andrew,

very nice Landscape. I as well like the sun and ice around. I might reduce a tad the blue cast on the frozen river, if that is underneath the snow. That is just me, I know people like snow in shadows blue since that gives the cold look. That's why I said just a tad, also you will see what happens with the trees when reducing blue :w3 But that is up to you to your liking of course.
Sounds you have been lucky not to loose power or any damage over there.

Ciao
Anette

David Stephens
12-28-2013, 09:46 PM
Anette, his whites are pretty white, which makes me accept the blue of the shadows. Would you simply remove some blue, to make it greyer? I could accept it either way myself.

Next time it snows good here I'm going to really evaluate the ice and snow under blue sky days. I really think that they have blue cast when the sky is blue, but I want to double-check myself on this and the model my pix after reality.

Don Railton
12-28-2013, 11:40 PM
Very appealing image Andrew... I like the starburst and the shadows leading to it, and the blue on white. The colour of the shadows does not bother me as I rarely see shadow on snow so I will leave that to the experts. I do so a bit of noise in the sky however although I am viewing this on am iPad so maybe that's the problem. The halo does not bother me too much either as it looks like a distant glow in the sky...

Don

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Andrew Merwin
12-31-2013, 02:49 PM
You have captured the icy coldness of winter with this image. I really like the starburst sun filtering through the iced branches.

Andrew McLachlan
01-01-2014, 07:05 PM
Much appreciate the comments folks...will work on the suggested tweaks :S3: