PDA

View Full Version : Striped Woodpecker

Arthur Morris
12-22-2013, 05:20 PM
This Striped Woodpecker was photographed at Torres del Paine National Park in Chile with the tripod mounted Canon 600mm f/4L IS II, the 2X III TC, and the EOS-1D X. ISO 800. Evaluative Metering +1 1/3 stop: 1/400 sec. at f/10 in Av mode.

Central sensor (by necessity)/AI Servo Surround Rear Focus AF as framed active at the moment of exposure.

Cell phone audio/100% natural perch in situ.

Av mode? I thought that real photographers and all professional photographers work in Manual mode all the time. Not.... I work in Manual mode most of the time, but.... To find out when and why I occasionally work in Av, Tv, or even--gasp--Program mode, check out my Sunday afternoon blog post "At Long Last, As Promised: the Greatest, Most Educational Blog Post Ever? Manual… Av… Tv… Program… Which is The Best Shooting Mode? (http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2013/12/22/at-long-last-as-promised-the-greatest-most-educational-blog-post-ever-manual-av-tv-program-which-is-the-best-shooting-mode-2/)" by clicking here (http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2013/12/22/at-long-last-as-promised-the-greatest-most-educational-blog-post-ever-manual-av-tv-program-which-is-the-best-shooting-mode-2/).

As for the image, don't be shy; all comments welcome.

Sandy Witvoet
12-22-2013, 05:27 PM
Love the "creamy" graduated BG... perch is just "gnarly" enough without distracting from the bird. Not familiar with that species, but do enjoy how the reddish crest pulls you right into the image and the eye.

Jim Crosswell
12-22-2013, 06:38 PM
I like the perch, details, sharpness, exposure, composition and complimentary BG. Good view of the feet gripping the perch is nice. Maybe a little more of a look our way but I would be happy tp have this image in my files. Excellent image Arthur.

John Robinson
12-22-2013, 06:54 PM
Looks good all around to me. Echo what has been said. Can't think of any "critique " except that i like it.
Interesested in the Rear focus mention as it certainly worked on this one !. Not sure what it means but I presume the Nikon D7100 hasn't got it.
Cheers
JR

Arthur Morris
12-22-2013, 07:08 PM
I like the perch, details, sharpness, exposure, composition and complimentary BG. Good view of the feet gripping the perch is nice. Maybe a little more of a look our way but I would be happy tp have this image in my files. Excellent image Arthur.

You nailed the slightly off head angle.... This was the best of many frames.... Tanks!

Arthur Morris
12-22-2013, 07:10 PM
Looks good all around to me. Echo what has been said. Can't think of any "critique " except that i like it.
Interesested in the Rear focus mention as it certainly worked on this one !. Not sure what it means but I presume the Nikon D7100 hasn't got it.
Cheers
JR

I would guess that your camera can be set up for rear focus. Randy might know for sure....

Sidharth Kodikal
12-22-2013, 08:00 PM
Lovely light and exposure. I like your comp and that smooth bg with subtle colors.
Agree that a slight head turn would have been better, but certainly works for me as is.
Since this was a setup, I'd have gone with a better perch, if possible.

I thought this was a ladder backed until I read the title and then opened a field guide to realize the differences. What a beautiful bird.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
12-22-2013, 08:28 PM
Nice Artie, Great detail and bg. I like the slightly open bill

Shawn Zierman
12-23-2013, 03:51 AM
I always enjoy seeing woodpeckers photographed on delicate perches like this, particularly when so well done. Soft light quality, pose, details, exposure...lots to enjoy here. I wonder if the cell phone sound/location had something to do with not achieving the perfect head angle? Maybe the sound was not easily pinpointed by the bird....

Arthur Morris
12-23-2013, 08:32 AM
Lovely light and exposure. I like your comp and that smooth bg with subtle colors.
Agree that a slight head turn would have been better, but certainly works for me as is.
Since this was a setup, I'd have gone with a better perch, if possible.

I thought this was a ladder backed until I read the title and then opened a field guide to realize the differences. What a beautiful bird.

Thanks Siddarath. It was not a set-up... The perch was there part of a bush. My friend played the call and the bird was kind enough to land in the nicest available spot.

Arthur Morris
12-23-2013, 08:33 AM
I always enjoy seeing woodpeckers photographed on delicate perches like this, particularly when so well done. Soft light quality, pose, details, exposure...lots to enjoy here. I wonder if the cell phone sound/location had something to do with not achieving the perfect head angle? Maybe the sound was not easily pinpointed by the bird....

I'd guess not.... Thanks for the kind words.

Grace Scalzo
12-23-2013, 09:26 AM
Pretty bird, nice and sharp. Agree on the head angle comment above. Light was nice and even.

John Rowell
12-23-2013, 10:25 AM
I really like the light in this one. Contrast and detail are matched nicely for a pleasingly soft yet sharp image. Great topknot color. Nits the same as others have noted. As you said, this is the best of the bunch and I'd take it in a heartbeat. Now I'm off to read your latest posting on shooting modes.

Arthur Morris
12-23-2013, 10:40 AM
I really like the light in this one. Contrast and detail are matched nicely for a pleasingly soft yet sharp image. Great topknot color. Nits the same as others have noted. As you said, this is the best of the bunch and I'd take it in a heartbeat. Now I'm off to read your latest posting on shooting modes.

Thanks John. Enjoy the post. No need to ever use the word "nits" as it carries many negative implications: from Merriam Webster Online: minute and usually unjustified criticism. All the comments here are justified :).

Bill Dix
12-23-2013, 12:09 PM
Great looking WP that I've never seen. Nice perch and BG. He looks like he's leaning backward, which I assume he was, otherwise you would have rotated him. It gives him a very alert look. The image looks just a tiny bit over-sharp on my screen.

Bill Dix
12-23-2013, 12:18 PM
Cheers
JR

Johnny, I use the D7000, which I have set up for rear focus. I suspect the D7100 is similar. The AE-L/AF-L button on the back can be set through the menu functions to lock the focus, allowing you to recompose before hitting the shutter button. (In the Custom Setting/Controls menu there is a function for assigning the AE-L/AF-L button (f5 in my camera). Set that to "AF-ON".) I find the position of that rear button just a tiny bit too far to the left on the camera body to be ergonomically pleasing, but I've gotten used to it. Maybe the D7100 has it closer to the shutter button.

Bill

Holger Leyrer
12-23-2013, 03:21 PM
Wonderful woodpecker. Great composition and beautiful light and colors. I like the "stand up" feathers on the head

MohsenVahedipour
12-25-2013, 03:28 AM
Excellent light, IQ & BG. Very lovely pose & perch. TFS

Frank Schauf
12-25-2013, 09:22 AM
Perfect comp and bg, nice work.