PDA

View Full Version : Loose Legs on Really Right Stuff TVC-24L Tripod.

Jim Keener
12-22-2013, 03:23 PM
I bought a Really Right Stuff TVC-24L tripod in August 2013 and within a month began noticing that a leg would be so loose that it would wobble freely if I picked up the tripod. And I had difficulty keeping the tripod steady when the leg was like that. Of course I kept tools in my bag and tightened the screws, but that solution wasn't adequate. The leg would loosen again shortly after I tightened it. I talked with a fellow named Mark at RRS and was told the company purposely manufactured the tripod so that this might happen, as different people preferred different tightening of the legs. What came to mind from me was that if that were the case, why wasn't any mention made of this in the promotional material for the tripod? Mark said RRS would send a tube of a material that I could apply to the screws at the apex where the leg was attached. My question again: if this were a designed-in issue, why wasn't the material included with the tripod. I was on a shoot with a friend at the Salton Sea, and at coffee later, learned she had purchased a RRS 3-series tripod. She said that she had a problem similar to mine. And I've since learned it's a not uncommon issue.

I'm about to buy a 500mm lens and Wimberley gimbal head and want to insure I have a stable platform, of course. Do tripods from other manufacturers have similar problems? Often? I'm hesitant to buy another tripod from RRS. If it is the best available, I will. But how do I judge that? My experience so far is that there are better choices.

Floyd Davidson
12-22-2013, 03:50 PM
Take a look at the Gitzo Series 5 Carbon Fiber tripods. The Systemic (no center column) three section models are the most stable. Then put leg wraps on it too, which will further dampen vibrations. You can buy leg wraps, or just get foam pipe insultation and make your own.

Diane Miller
12-22-2013, 06:49 PM
I've had a Gitzo Systemic for several years and a smaller one with a center column for quite a few years with no problems like this (or anything else) at all. That does sound really strange about RRS. Sounds like nuts are loosening?

I saw a thread here about corrosion issues but I haven't seen that either. (And I would be really unhappy if I had.)

van bogaert erik
12-23-2013, 06:10 AM
I bought a Really Right Stuff TVC-24L tripod in August 2013 and within a month began noticing that a leg would be so loose that it would wobble freely if I picked up the tripod..

i never had that happen with a Gitzo. This is a common problem on the RRS tripods i think ,and i've heard other reports on that problem in the past.
On the RRS website there is even a article how to adjust the bolts of the legs when they loosen up.!!!

I find that when you pay a very high price on a tripod that should not occur in the first place .

Gitzo is still the best .

Jim Keener
12-23-2013, 06:58 PM
Thanks all for the informed and informative responses. I've been looking at tripods online, and am thinking of getting the Gitzo GT5542LS. It's about 60" tall, and I would much prefer 66". But the next taller one I could find that was CF and Systemic is 74" high. And that's a bit much. I just want to get a really good tripod and forget about it, not be concerned about floppy legs causing a gear dump.

John Chardine
12-23-2013, 08:41 PM
Jim- I would also give the Gitzo 3000 series Systematics a look. Long lenses (Canon at least) are getting lighter and lighter and my 3000 series Gitzo was more than adequate for my Canon 500/4 version 1. No question that the 5000 series is studier but they are as expected, heavier and this could be an important factor depending on your style of photography.

I've never had any problems with my Gitzo tripod. I have faithfully kept the legs clean inside and out when used in salt water, and keep a thin coating of lubricant on all the metal parts up at the plate area.

Jim Keener
12-23-2013, 09:51 PM
John, thanks for the advice. It's well taken. What is the lightest supported weight you might suggest?

Floyd Davidson
12-24-2013, 05:34 AM
Additional discussion about choosing a tripod:

The "Load Rating" is how much it takes to break a tripod, and in normal use about 25% of that rating is the upper limit for comfortable safe operation. An absolute maximum of about 33% of the load rating is worst case, and will make operation more difficult. Hence for a camera plus lens weight of 6 lbs, a tripod with a load rating of 25 lbs is about right, but with a larger camera and lens, say weighing in at 16 lbs, a tripod rated at 50 lbs or more is the minimum.

With the same materials and basic design, the heavier it is the more sturdy it will be. That is not a question of whether it will fall over or break though, it's a measure of how much it will vibrate from camera movements such as the shutter movement or wind conditions. Sharper pictures are the benefit of a more sturdy tripod.

For stability, center columns are bad, three section legs are best, and the farther the legs are extended the worse it gets.

But that said, sturdy isn't always the main function of a tripod either! Sometimes you just need another arm to hold the camera for a few hours. A lighter tripod saves gives you freedom from holding it just as much as sturdier tripod. And when that is true an adjustable center column is a labor saving defice.

Another consideration that has multiple ramifications is tripod height. Choosing a tripod to match your eye level may not be the best choice, if for no other reason than your eye level is artistically not usually the best location for a camera! A tripod designed to have a maximum height of 74" is not as stable as a similar 60" design. If you shoot with a long lens and outdoors, the shorter tripod is better. Bending over or even sitting on the ground to allow a better perspective and a shorter more stable tripod configuration will perhaps always be a better choice than positioning the camera height at your eye level.

Wildflower-nut
12-24-2013, 09:33 AM
if you photograph on level ground, eye height is fine. If you photograph on uneven ground, then having a taller tripod is an advantage when your feet are higher up the slope than the lower leg of the tripod or you are standing on a rock. This is probably more important when doing scenic work but it is still applicable to long lenses. I use the tallest 4 section 3000 studex tripod gitzo makes without a center post which goes well over my head. I extend the bottom section 3-4" to keep the adjuster out of the dirt and then use the other sections. When more height is needed (in my case only on un-level ground) than i can get from the upper sections, I extend the lowest section further. I've been happy with this setup using the 500mm and even longer. It is pretty much my go to tripod for everything macro included. The additional weight of the fourth section is minimal considering the additional height advantage. In terms of stability, the way I use it, I don't think that is an issue.

So many people talk up the really right stuff tripod, I'd give their solution a chance before buying another tripod.

allanrube
12-24-2013, 10:57 AM
I have to use Loctite on my RRS tripod every few months. This should not happen on such an expensive tripod.

Jim Keener
12-24-2013, 11:51 AM
I am glad I posted to this forum group and think I have gotten first rate information and advice. My gratitude. Plus. The website links have led me to some truly beautiful photography. An inspiration.

I'll keep my RRS 24L and probably continue to apply Loctite from time-to-time. The problem with the loose legs appears to stem from the friction being created by a bolt inside a sleeve. And the bolt loosens, and in my case, often. I won't buy another RRS tripod. But I will buy other things from the company. The ball head that I have (BH-40) works well and appears to have been manufactured to exacting standards. I plan to get another, the BH-55.

As for the heavier duty tripod, Gitrzo appears to be the obvious choice, at least to me. And the decision on the height appears to rest on intended use. I'll revisit that.

I celebrated my 70th birthday nine days ago and just began learning photography in August this year. What an adventure. Signing up for this forum is one of the good decisions I've made. Again, my thanks.

Wildflower-nut
12-24-2013, 09:10 PM
if you lock tight the bolt, I'd use one of the ones that is not permanent. Some day you may need to tighten it further or change something if so the permanent version will be an issue.

allanrube
12-24-2013, 09:29 PM
I don't use the permanent kind.

Mike Gallo
12-25-2013, 09:55 AM
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1262154

Grace Scalzo
12-25-2013, 10:46 AM
Here is my 2 cents. I own a gitzo and a rrs. (The gitzo is useless as a leg is permanently stuck, so it just hangs out in the garage.) I use my gear HARD! Sand, salt, mud, in and out of cars, over my shoulder, etc. None of these tripods can take that abuse without some maintenance, no matter what the cost. I religiously clean mine, and yes, I have had to use loc tite a couple times on the RRS. But it's mechanical, and having to maintain it just doesn't bother me, nor do I feel that it's unexpected. I've had decent service from the RRS company. The tripod is rock solid, super stable, and does a great job for me and my heavy gear. That being said, next one, I will take a look at the Induro simply because it's so much cheaper. I won't give Gitzo any business due to their record of poor customer service.

DickLudwig
12-25-2013, 11:28 AM
I prefer to use 'Teflon Tape' to keep nuts and screws tight. It is easy to apply, requires no dry time and you can vary the amount of tape to supply just the right amount of pressure required to tighten / loosen the nut or screw. And most importantly you can always undo what you've done. It is also a good idea to use a dry lubricant like powdered graphite to reduce the friction at the nut when the legs open and close.

Don Lacy
12-26-2013, 06:18 PM
Gitzo tripods have their issues to there are numerous threads on this and other forums of legs freezing or breaking as in this post http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/115255-Suggestions-for-a-new-tripod-anything-but-Gitzo I have home repaired two out the three legs on my Gitzo for the same problem of corrosion causing the legs to fall out of the plate. Like John I also took apart and thoroughly cleaned my tripod after each use in saltwater.

ericbowles
12-27-2013, 11:14 AM
I have two Gitzo 3540LS tripods - both purchased new when the 3541 was being released.

On one of the tripods I've had a problem with two of the three legs where the top legs join the casting. I used a two part epoxy to repair each leg. While there are a few complaints about RRS, I'm quite frustrated with Gitzo's workmanship and design. On the same tripod, I've had a cracked casting at the top of one of the legs. The metal walls of the casting are very thin and brittle. And the replacement cost over $150.

While this thread refers to the legs of the RRS tripod, a little Loctite will resolve the issue. That's not unusual for screws and bolts used to assemble gear. The RRS tripod materials are milled - not cast. That makes them much more reliable and less prone to catastrophic failure or cracking. My next tripod will probably be a RRS model - and I don't plan to ever buy another Gitzo.

Blue Loctite is a regular item for a photographer - just like wrenches and gaffer tape. :)

Diane Miller
12-27-2013, 11:28 AM
But don't use the red flavor of Loctite -- it's meant to be permanent -- the blue stuff is removable, but often with some force. Use a very small amount and if that lets go, try a little more the next time. It smells and acts like Superglue, so I assume the same cautions apply about not gluing your fingers together.

Jim Keener
12-27-2013, 12:37 PM
Blue Loctite. Got it.

In a few days I'll own both RSS and Gitzo tripods. In reviewing these comments, I think a company named Really Gitzoed Stuff might be a good idea: connectors that don't loosen and materials that don't wear or crack with normal use.

This is a bit disheartening.

Thanks for all the input.

Jim Keener
12-30-2013, 04:00 PM
I have changed my mind, with the help of the comments on this thread. I'm returning the Gitzo tripod I ordered, and am going to buy a RRS TVC 34L. But only if RRS puts in two tubes of blue Loctite! I can treat the bolt threads every few months, if that's what it takes. Other than that issue, RRS makes truly beautiful gear. And the TVC 34L comes the closest to matching my preferred height of 66" at 68". Whew! I'm glad that's over.

van bogaert erik
12-30-2013, 04:30 PM
But only if RRS puts in two tubes of blue Loctite! I can treat the bolt threads every few months, if that's what it takes..

i never heard of loose legs on a gitzo (even those that are 30 years old ) , also broken gitzo's i find that strange and i am convinced that these are just a few ones .

But i am more afraid from tripods where i need to put every month loctite on the bolts to keep the tripod safe and in working order.

Don Lacy
12-30-2013, 06:39 PM
But i am more afraid from tripods where i need to put every month loctite on the bolts to keep the tripod safe and in working order.
My first leg broke in three feet of saltwater almost dumping 8,000.00 worth of gear into the lagoon. Plus we did not even get into the issue of the top plate coming off and dumping gear on Gitzo's these issues are well documented along with Gitzo's poor customer service when dealing with them.