PDA

View Full Version : Grey Seal Pup

Andreas Liedmann
12-21-2013, 11:56 AM
A new born seal pup couple of hours after birth, was born the day before, i think.
At Donna Nook in England , i was behind a fence if somebody think i have been too close.

Canon EOS 1D MK IIn
EF 500 IS L
Tripod

F 5,6 ; ISO 200 ; 1/1500 sec

Cheers Andreas

GertOoms
12-21-2013, 12:58 PM
Hi Andreas,

Very cute subject. Love how you retained details in the whites, great sharpness.
Is that a piece of black plastic/metal or ? on the RHS.

TFS,
Gert

Rachel Hollander
12-21-2013, 04:40 PM
Hi Andreas - definitely a cuteness factor and I like the image. I like the adult as a bg. Any idea what the whiter area on the adult is (to the left of the pup) or if it is just the coloration? I wish you had a bit more dof but not a major issue. Does it need a little ccw rotation?

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
12-22-2013, 01:10 PM
Hi Andreas, not the greatest place to photograph this subject, too many restrictions, however you did well. Light looks harsh, but a mid tone layer will help resolve this. Increasing your ISO for more SS to gain a hint more DOF would have been good, but as Rachel said, not a deal breaker. I think moving a bit more to the right would have been better, but again no doubt this wasn't possible? I assume the debris is not part of one of the exploded bomb fragments? I should look to toning down that highlight strip, LHS just by Mum.

TFS
Steve

Arthur Morris
12-22-2013, 05:58 PM
Cute, sharp. Is the BKGR momma? Moving right would put Andreas more off light angle... Moving well left would have been another option....

Andreas Liedmann
12-23-2013, 01:11 AM
THanks Gert, Rachel, Steve and Artie.

What the black piece is i do not know exactly, could be a bomb fragment what Steve said, cause the location is a training area for the RAF .Funny the seals got there after the RAF .Starting with some animals ,meanwhile they are numerous.
Rachel - the lighter parts on Mummy are reflections they are in the RAW , too. I do not think i need to rotate because mummy is balanced and the pup is lying on a slope .
Steve - you are right about that line and i try to go bit darker later.
Artie - i like the comp as is, and honestly i could not get another position with the same POV. I was shooting through a hole in the fence , moving only 1 meter either way , meant that i had to lift the whole setup about a meter , so i would have had a steeper angle of shooting.

Hope that helps.

THanks for watching, Andreas

Anette Mossbacher
12-28-2013, 02:02 PM
Hi Andreas,

a very cute pup, agree with cuteness factor. Most have said already above. Just wonder what this black stuff is in front of the RHS foot of the little one!
Very nice done as we know from you :w3

Ciao
Anette

Gabriela Plesea
12-30-2013, 11:59 AM
Cuddly little fellow, well captured Andreas! Sharp where needs be and I like to see Mom in the BG:w3 Looking forward to see more from you in 2014, we had lots of fun on BPN this year and lots of learning too, thank you for finding the time and energy to view, comment and share your tips on processing-I truly appreciate it!

Kind regards,