PDA

View Full Version : Negative Space

David Kennedy
05-11-2008, 08:20 PM
Canon 5D and 70-200mm f/4L lens @ 91mm
Eight verticals exposed 1/125 sec. @ f/8, ISO 160, Stitched in Autopano Pro
Totem Poles, Monument Valley Navajo Tribal Park, Utah

In a previous post of mine from this area, Robert Amoruso was wondering if the silhouetted rocks (the negative space in the image) was overpowering. I'll now pose that question to this image of mine. I know how it could be cropped, so the question is: should it be cropped, or does this presentation have merit of its own? I'm anxious to know what you all think!

Roman Kurywczak
05-11-2008, 09:09 PM
Hey David,
Sun position in this one is very strong. I am a huge fan of silhouettes and negative space especially if they have stong lines......which this one does! The comp of the clouds and negative space lines keep bringing me back into the image and to the focal point of the sun. Only recommendation is to put signiture in RH corner.
Very nicely done!

Dave Phillips
05-11-2008, 09:24 PM
I like this one a lot......only possibly the rightmost plateau area could go.
It is at center level and a bit strong/not adding any interest

but maybe not.....

David Kennedy
05-11-2008, 09:28 PM
Only recommendation is to put signiture in RH corner.

Roman,
Agreed--usually Lightroom does a good job with it's automatic watermarking on export, but not in this case. I'll replace that image with one from Photoshop shortly...

Robert Amoruso
05-12-2008, 09:00 AM
I am thinking about it David. Will get back to you.

Julie Kenward
05-12-2008, 12:19 PM
I agree with Dave - if anything I'd take out the very far right plateau but only if it bothers you. I really like it as is and my eye does keep coming back to that sun!

David Steele
05-13-2008, 02:10 PM
David, since you asked, this presentation DOES have a great deal of merit. I wouldn't change a thing!

Bob Ettinger
05-16-2008, 01:15 PM
This must look great in full size. The light, color, clouds and angle of the moutains all draw the eye into the image

carole wiley
05-24-2008, 08:12 PM
I have to say this is one powerful image for me just as it is. This image inparticular has me wanting to try panoramas. Thanks for the inspiration.

Noel Carboni
07-06-2008, 02:19 PM
Beautiful in its simplicity. Makes me want to say "ahhhhhhhhh".

-Noel