PDA

View Full Version : The Thing

Norm Dulak
12-20-2013, 04:19 PM
D7000 w/Nikkor 105mm micro lens, tripod mounted
ISO 800; f/16, 1/4 sec; MM -1.33; HH wireless SB-R200 speed light set to -1.3 by camera's commander function

While walking my dogs this afternoon, I spotted the thing shown here on the edge of the road. Would someone please tell me what it is?

It's about the size of a lima bean, but they are not around this time of the year, and never anywhere near that location. Moreover, lima beans don't have what appears to be a developing head. Bird embryos do, but they also aren't around this time of the year and are not green. And is that a blood vessel I see in the "anterior" region; and what are the "appendages" below what may be a developing head?

It's a mystery to me!

Norm

Jonathan Ashton
12-22-2013, 04:55 AM
Norm I have no idea what this is but I rather like the composition, the only criticism I have to offer is the the focus appears to be going softer towards top right, the top of this object is just a little indistinct.

Norm Dulak
12-22-2013, 10:37 AM
Thanks, Jon. I'm sorry you can't ID the thing but appreciate your critique!

Jerry van Dijk
12-22-2013, 11:25 AM
Hi Norm, interesting 'thing'. It's difficult to judge when not having this in hand, but could it be a caterpillar in the first stage of forming a pupa? Form and color remind me of Sphingidae caterpillars (hornworms etc.), but then in curled up. When caterpillars develop a pupa, they usually develop a clear outline of where the wings will be, which in this case could explain the brownish part on top, which starts to form a clear outline. Pupa often form little threads to attach firmly to plants, which might be the appendages you notice at the lower end.
Steve Maxon knows his animals, he might be able to confirm.

Steve Maxson
12-24-2013, 11:37 AM
Hi Norm. I think Jerry is giving me too much credit on this one. :S3: This is, indeed, a very intriguing subject - and I have never seen anything like it. It might be easier if we had it in-hand for examination, but failing that, I think Jerry's idea is as good as any.