PDA

View Full Version : Reddish Egret

John Rowell
12-19-2013, 04:11 PM

From Ft. DeSoto a couple of weeks ago, I almost passed on this Reddish Egret because the body is turned away and the head was in shadow, but really liked the curve of the left wing and the way the bird is framed between the shadow and colored reflections. Added 2/3 stop to exposure, shadows were pretty harsh so I lightened the head, some noise reduction, and Nik DE and sharpening on the bird only. Also cleaned up some of the water.

D4, 600 mm, tripod mounted, 1/1000 sec, f 8, auto ISO at 500.

Overall I like the image, but IQ isn't what I'd have hoped for. Your thoughts and comments would be appreciated.

Jim Crosswell
12-19-2013, 06:17 PM
I like the hunting pose and the intense focus of the Egret. At first I was thinking of taking some off the bottom but like it as presented. Nice image John.

Arthur Morris
12-19-2013, 06:17 PM
Nicely done in difficult lighting conditions. You have handled the shaded head well. I love the pose and I am betting that I know within 30 feet exactly where the image was made. The fact that the bird was facing slightly away from you exacerbated the lighting problems, the worst being the sunlit parts at the back of the bird. Especially the upper right leg and the lower left leg. Both of those could be toned down in a variety of ways.

ps: welcome and thanks a stack for your membership support.

Jamie Douglas
12-19-2013, 08:41 PM
This is framed nicely with the reflections of the trees and bird, and you got the light and detail to pop where it counts the most.

A fine image

Jamie

Daniel Cadieux
12-19-2013, 08:58 PM
I like the canopy feeding pose, and also the water reflecting off the far wing. The bit of reflected vegetation at top adds a neat touch of colour. I do find the ruffled neck feathers oversharpened though.

keith mitchell
12-20-2013, 09:21 AM
John I like the pose a lot and the reflection ,do agree the neck feathers do look a little hard to me ,still a really good looking image that I would be very pleased with.

Keith.:S3: