PDA

View Full Version : Short Eared Owl.

keith mitchell
12-19-2013, 02:33 PM
Nikon D300
Nikon 500ml F4

1/250@f7.1 iso 500.

Shot taken a couple of years ago when we had lots of these Owls wintering with us, sorry about the post but that's all I have got on this site where all my shots are taken from the car window. It was a still evening and had to wait a while for just a tiny breeze to just fluff up the breast feathers a little bit which I think just gives the impression of soft feathers, please tell me if you think I'm wrong all critique very welcome.

Thanks for your comments on my last post, and this could be my last before the Christmas holiday so may I take this opportunity to wish all on this site a very Happy Christmas,

:cheers:Keith.:S3:

Randy Stout
12-19-2013, 02:55 PM
Keith :

The bird is exceptional, with lovely lighting, and the breeze indeed has given a strong sense of soft feathers.

Bg nice as well.

Post is major distracting element, but as we know, that tends to be where they hang out.

Just as a trial, I would do a version without the barbed wire. That strong horizontal line and moderate contrast really does pull the eye more than the post.

Cheers

Randy

Kevin Giannini
12-19-2013, 03:12 PM
What a beautiful bird in beautiful iight! I do like the softness of the breast feathers from the breeze, contrasted with the sharpness of the wing and head. I actually like the barbed wire and feel it gives the owl some context to where it is, since they do hang out on fence posts. For mdi it's not a distraction considering the iightness of the owl in general, and those eyes! Merry Christmas to you as well Keith.
Kevin

Sidharth Kodikal
12-19-2013, 05:50 PM
Beautiful light and gorgeous bird. Love the eye contact. Nice bg to go along. Love this image - post, barbed wire and all ... TFS and merry Christmas.

Arthur Morris
12-19-2013, 06:11 PM
Wow! Wow! Wow! The light and the bird--the glowing bird, are amazing. As are the wide open eyes. The background is to die for. It is nice that the post and the barbed wire are weathered. That said, if this bird were on a natural stump, it would be a BBC entry. Way to go and let's see more.

Jim Crosswell
12-19-2013, 06:23 PM
A real beauty Keith! I like the clarity, light, eyes, IQ, BG and composition.

shane shacaluga
12-19-2013, 06:28 PM
Great looking owl and an exceptional image. Post and wire doesnt bother me that much either

TFS

Daniel Cadieux
12-19-2013, 09:02 PM
Awesome looking bird, and that is some sweet light you had! I'd be tempted to create a version with the eyes level (a bit of CCW rotation), but certainly OK as is too.

Jamie Douglas
12-19-2013, 09:30 PM
Smashing image keith and is there anyway to erect a more natural looking perch in that location? Might be a wee project for the holidays.

Jamie

Grace Scalzo
12-19-2013, 09:34 PM
Just a beautiful image! I'd be hanging this one on my wall.

arash_hazeghi
12-20-2013, 12:03 AM
excellent pose, light and sharp details. I'm with Artie that if the perch was natural it would be a contest entry

well done and happy holidays

Steve Kaluski
12-20-2013, 03:19 AM
Wow! Wow! Wow! The light and the bird--the glowing bird, are amazing. As are the wide open eyes. The background is to die for. It is nice that the post and the barbed wire are weathered. That said, if this bird were on a natural stump, it would be a BBC entry. Way to go and let's see more.

Doesn't get much better Keith, can only echo Aries comment and the others above, outstanding. :cheers::cheers:

adrian dancy
12-20-2013, 07:42 AM
You achieved what you set out to achieve. Nothing wrong in setting out to get blowing feathers.
The light is wonderful. The focus spot on and the background is superb.
I have absolutely no issue with the perch. A natural perch may be better, but for the photographer and the bird there is no other choice in the wider environment for this bird. In any case does the perch not suggest the connectivity between man and bird and isn't it through that connectivity that conservation is strengthened?

Seasons greetings Keith!

keith mitchell
12-20-2013, 09:05 AM
Was not sure if this was up to standard to post on this forum where there is so much excellent work ,so many thanks for your comments it's really encouraging.

Keith.:S3:

Did think about setting a different perch but unfortunately I don't think we will have the Owls this year.

Jonathan Ashton
12-20-2013, 09:39 AM
Beautiful light and exposure, a first class image, the decision to wait for the breeze was a good one.

Marina Scarr
12-20-2013, 10:04 AM
This is really an outstanding image for all of the reasons already noted. I do not find the perch or the wire fence distracting at all. Would it be even better on a natural perch, yes, but this is a wall hanger.

Satish Ranadive
12-20-2013, 10:56 AM
Spectacular image of beautiful owl in beautiful lights. Love the colors,nice backdrop, composition and yellow eyes.

Regards,
Satish.

adrian dancy
12-20-2013, 03:32 PM
Keith

If your image was made at Worlaby Carr then I suggest you sign the attached petition. It was my understanding that the farmer had already ploughed the land but that may not be the case.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/43941

Holger Leyrer
12-20-2013, 04:40 PM
Excellent shot. Great pose. I really like all. Is perfect for me.

keith mitchell
12-21-2013, 04:01 AM
Thanks a lot folks.

If your image was made at Worlaby Carr then I suggest you sign the attached petition. It was my understanding that the farmer had already ploughed the land but that may not be the case.
Adrian afraid it's all been put back to agriculture so don't think the petition did any good , but I think it must be understood that it was a scheme with a time limit which I think was 10 years.
Keith.

christopher galeski
12-21-2013, 05:07 AM
Good image Keith,great light,nice BG and pose.

David Salem
12-23-2013, 08:57 PM
Beautiful light on this awesome looking owl. I have the same problem with natural perches, so I feel your pain. Techs look great and the lit eyes make this one killer. Well done