PDA

View Full Version : Clone stamp once more

Ted Willcox
05-11-2008, 07:54 PM
The problem with the clone stamp, cloning lighter then the selected area happens when: For example, I am working on a Bald Eagle. I make a background copy and do a S/H adjustment. I then select the body and wings, excluding the head and do a levels adjustment to boast the exposure. I then select the clone stamp to clean up small areas of sky that I mistakenly included in the selection. When I try to clone those tiny bits of sky back to their original color, that's when the clone stamp clones lighter. I am working on the same levels layer I made the adjustment. I tried cloning on the background copy but it won't clone on that layer. I am always running into this same problem but I don't know if it's always the same scenario. I seem to be missing something basic here.
Still confused. Ted.

Dave Phillips
05-11-2008, 08:01 PM
first ?
is the "tool" opacity set at 100%?

Robert O'Toole
05-11-2008, 08:14 PM
Hi Ted,

Sounds like the problem is more than just the clone stamp. You have some general workflow problems.

The problem with the clone stamp, cloning lighter then the selected area happens when: For example, I am working on a Bald Eagle. I make a background copy and do a S/H adjustment.

S/H usually hurts more than helps when used globally, it ruins the contrast. Try to get into the habit of using it selectively if you really have to.

I then select the body and wings, excluding the head and do a levels adjustment to boast the exposure. I then select the clone stamp to clean up small areas of sky that I mistakenly included in the selection.

This is really the problem, sound like you are using a poor selection method. Use a quick mask or Layer mask.

When I try to clone those tiny bits of sky back to their original color, that's when the clone stamp clones lighter. I am working on the same levels layer I made the adjustment. I tried cloning on the background copy but it won't clone on that layer. I am always running into this same problem but I don't know if it's always the same scenario. I seem to be missing something basic here.

If you have a light color spot on a darker area in the sky just grab the patch tool. This will give you much cleaner results.

Robert

Charles Glatzer
05-12-2008, 09:27 PM
Ted,

Here is a tip...when using the clone tool (and, a few others) set the blend mode to lighten or darken instead of normal. You will be amazed :) Of course cloning to a new layer offers even greater flexibility.

Best,

Chas