PDA

View Full Version : Red-ruffed Fruitcrow

Tom Friedel
12-18-2013, 10:44 PM
5D Mark II, ISO 640 F/8 1/16 flash 300 mm f/2.8+2x Colombia

Looking at this photo from about a year ago, maybe I could work on the eye a little, but not sure what else can be done at this point. I want to print some of my photos, which I have never done, and I find it really tough to know which ones might look good on a wall. THis one came to mind because it is not cropped as tightly as many of my photos (should do more set-up photos I suppose with nice backgrounds)

thanks for looking

Henry Domke
12-19-2013, 07:11 PM
I want to print some of my photos, which I have never done, and I find it really tough to know which ones might look good on a wall.
Start by making small prints; perhaps letter-sized before moving on to larger prints.

Seeing your images printed will reveal qualities and problems that you might not notice on the screen.

One suggestion for this image is to darken the bright lichen in the upper left hand corner and the right of the birds throat. I find them distracting.

You might consider reading Jeff Schewe's new book "The Digital Print (http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Print-Preparing-Lightroom-Photoshop/dp/0321908457/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1387498176&sr=1-1&keywords=the+digital+print)"

Juan Carlos Vindas
12-19-2013, 09:21 PM
Very cool bird, love the habitat feel and nice exposure.

Marina Scarr
12-20-2013, 10:36 AM
You've done a good job diminishing the obvious high angle on this shot. Lovely environment. I'd like to see the bird a little more sharpened.

Tom Friedel
12-20-2013, 08:01 PM
Thanks about bright lichens and printing tips.
Re sharper, I wonder if the topic of sharpening downsized photos has been discussed here. I would have to look at the original to see if more sharpening could be done there. But I know Wikipedia sharpens downsized views and at least one top photographer here has written he does a final sharpening pass after downsizing. My web site downsizes for me using old software, so I am not sure I can get it to do that trick, but maybe I need to look into it. Or sharpen myself before posting here.
Thanks!