PDA

View Full Version : Canon 7D or 1D Mk IV

Martin Currie
12-18-2013, 07:23 AM
Hello guys<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I’d like to throw something to the members here for some feedback. I’m currently using canon 7D with my 70-200mm F2.8L II and canon 2x extender Mk 3. I love this combo and will be using this until I get my hands on the canon 400mm F5.6L.<o:p></o:p>
My question is regarding the auto focus on my 7D. what’s a better camera for BIF the 7D with its 19 point cross AF system of the Canon 1D Mk4 with its 45 point AF system?<o:p></o:p>
I’ve been thinking of upgrading to a 1D Mk 4 but not sure what’s got the best AF system.<o:p></o:p>
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.<o:p></o:p>
Martin<o:p></o:p>

DickLudwig
12-18-2013, 09:55 AM
Hello guys<o:p></o:p>
I’d like to throw something to the members here for some feedback. I’m currently using canon 7D with my 70-200mm F2.8L II and canon 2x extender Mk 3. I love this combo and will be using this until I get my hands on the canon 400mm F5.6L.<o:p></o:p>
My question is regarding the auto focus on my 7D. what’s a better camera for BIF the 7D with its 19 point cross AF system of the Canon 1D Mk4 with its 45 point AF system?<o:p></o:p>
I’ve been thinking of upgrading to a 1D Mk 4 but not sure what’s got the best AF system.<o:p></o:p>
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.<o:p></o:p>
If you want people to read your post you need to change the text color to black.

Doug Brown
12-18-2013, 11:14 AM
The Mark IV is much better than the 7D, but you should also consider the 5D3. It's quite a bit better than the Mark IV.

van bogaert erik
12-18-2013, 01:10 PM
T but you should also consider the 5D3. It's quite a bit better than the Mark IV.

could be but then you have no crop sensor anymore . so go for the 1d mark 4 or stay with the 7D and wait for 7d II or another new crop sensor camera .

arash_hazeghi
12-18-2013, 04:21 PM
I agree with Doug, MKIV is a great choice if you are more action oriented (10 fps, large buffer) but if you just want solid AF 5D3 is excellent too but it is slower (6fps, smaller buffer). both are day and night better than the 7D.

good luck

Martin Currie
12-18-2013, 06:08 PM
Guys!!

Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking that the 1D might be the better choice in terms of having the crop sensor. Coupled with my 70-200 and the 2x extender I've got a bit more reach.

Another thing that’s more appealing to me about the 1D is that my mate has one out in Dubai and it’s a solid camera, he’s always raving on about how good it is. Believe it or not he's actually dropped it the shallows while on the beach and it survived!!!

Now that’s a testament to build quality!!! There wasn't a single thing wrong with it after 30 sec's underwater!!<o:p></o:p>
I think I shall begin the hunt for 1D Mk IV.

Cheers

Martin

Daniel Cadieux
12-18-2013, 08:09 PM
I concur with the others. As much as I like my 7D I would go for a 1D MKIV or 5D III (or even better if budget allowed...1DX)

Marina Scarr
12-19-2013, 01:02 PM
Hands down the 1D4. I have one and LOVE it.

P-A. Fortin
12-19-2013, 01:55 PM
I concur with the others. As much as I like my 7D I would go for a 1D MKIV or 5D III (or even better if budget allowed...1DX)

You would go for a full frame in his situation? I mean, a 400mm on a full frame does not provide you with that much reach...

Martin Currie
12-19-2013, 05:56 PM
Just been online and really I can’t justify shelling out £4500 on a 1DX. I would love to own one but as an enthusiastic hobbyist it would be rather irresponsible to pay that money for a camera.

Reading the reviews and everyone comments my minds made up and it’s going to be 1D Mk IV.

I just downloaded Arash's Book on BIF and its a fantastic guide to BIF. I can’t wait to get into the field and start practicing the techniques.

Cheers for all the feedback guys