PDA

View Full Version : Snowy Plover special look

Lorant Voros
12-18-2013, 01:34 AM
Another shore bird from a few days ago. It also gave me a nice look. Comments are welcome.

1DMKIV
500mm+1.4TC
ISO400
f:8
1/1000
skimmer pod

Henry Domke
12-18-2013, 05:02 AM
What an unusual picture! Two things strike me:
1. I'm not sure what to think about the head angle. I kept coming back to it and wondering "Does this work?"
2. The colors are very muted.

Doug West
12-18-2013, 05:20 AM
I love that head angle Lorant, it's pretty unique. Not only is he looking straight
at us, but you got both eyes with that turn.

The only thing I'd do is maybe take a little off the bottom.

Doug

Stu Bowie
12-18-2013, 05:26 AM
Hi Lorant, love the eye contact from the unusual head turn. Well exposed on the whites, and your low angle of capture works well. I would add a bit of contrast, and Im fine with leaving the bottom. Taking off there, you will still be left with some OOF FG.

Arthur Morris
12-18-2013, 06:51 AM
I like the pose, the sharpness, and the image design but for a small crop from the bottom.

The bird is a Wilson's Plover :). Where did you photograph this bird?

Bill Dix
12-18-2013, 09:57 AM
Unique plover pose; it's nice to see something different. Yes to a little contrast, or adding black to neutrals. I was also wondering about the species, but then saw Artie's correction. But the more I look, I'm curious to know, Artie, what distinguishing characteristics you're looking at to make that call. I'm sure you're right, but it's tough for me to tell bill size and shape without seeing it in profile.

manuel grosselet
12-18-2013, 10:49 AM
Artie, this bird looks with a big bill by the angle, but this nice cute picture of Lorant show vey well at least three things,1: bill width, very narrow who exclude Wilson's P., 2: grey legs, again exclude WP ad finally the vey thin half collar pointy out Snowy Plover. I am agree with Henry, the head angle is pretty unusual and funy, but yes it woks, why not.. I would like to have more tone (warmer pictures).. but like always, very nice

Arthur Morris
12-18-2013, 03:05 PM
Though I am not sure about all of Manuel's ID points, and though my first look at this seemingly stocky, robust bird with a seemingly large bill and a seemingly square head at a stage of molt that I have never seen on a Snowy Plover, screamed Wilson's Plover, I may very well be wrong. Lorant. If you have another image showing the bird in profile pleas post it here.

Daniel Cadieux
12-18-2013, 03:25 PM
I'd be tempted to punch up the saturation a tad, but otherwise a nice image with a whimsical feel to it due to the unusual head angle:S3:

Jim Crosswell
12-18-2013, 03:45 PM
I like the low angle, feather detail, exposure, BG and pose really adds interest. Excellent image Lorant.

Joseph Cala
12-18-2013, 07:11 PM
Nothing to add on the picture itself, but I'm in agreement that this is a Snowy Plover.

Lorant Voros
12-18-2013, 07:51 PM
Wow, this thread is burning.:) Thanks everyone for commenting on it.

I post another photo, so you guys can see the head and the beak better. I still go for Snowy Plover.

Arthur Morris
12-19-2013, 06:08 AM
Thanks Lorant. I was wrong :). It is indeed and obviously a Snowy Plover.