PDA

View Full Version : A step too far?

Jamie Douglas
12-17-2013, 11:11 PM
I have been going through 2012 archives from last winter and came across this. I had dismissed this at first as it was a miss in my mind at the time because I was tracking the hawk as it flew by but... took another look at it and wanted to see if folks think I am loosing my mind or if this actually works - maybe not as captured here but in concept. Sums up what a field mouse's view of a passing Harrier Hawk would be.

I'll take zero comments as it doesn't work :) and I wont be offended.

At the end of the day it's art which is purely subjective, but hey to be a successful artist someone besides me has to like it :e3

Cheers

Jamie

Camera Techs | Canon 1D Mark IV | 400mm F5.6 | 5.6 | 1/2000 | ISO400 | Handheld

Troy Lim
12-17-2013, 11:16 PM
It is very different for sure. I am glad to see that the focus locked on the bird even with the FG distraction. :)

Don Railton
12-17-2013, 11:21 PM
Hi Jamie, I think your concept is sound (ie field mouse vs Harrier) but I don't see anything in this image that makes it obvious that the viewer is or could be a fieldmouse.. I think that would be critical to make this work, but I have no ideas immediately how you might do that.. Nice idea though... Maybe its as simple as a little 'ground' in the foreground?

DON

arash_hazeghi
12-18-2013, 02:39 AM
Hi Jamie, if you want my honest opinion it doesn't work because the harrier is blocked and doesn't make a connection with the viewer.

Steve Kaluski
12-18-2013, 04:55 AM
Hi Jamie, I'm with Arash, as it was HH could you not have tracked the bird until it was in clear air, however knowing this area it may not have been possible? Think we may need hi vis bibs next time? :Whoa!:

TFS
Steve

Stu Bowie
12-18-2013, 05:21 AM
Hi Jamie, Im amazed that the camera didnt lock focus on the grasses. I like the flight pose, but maybe a bit small in the frame. I assume if there was a clear area, you would have posted that shot. :w3

Doug West
12-18-2013, 05:26 AM
Gotta agree with Arash and Steve. Maybe...maybe if that one big reed wasn't
between you and the hawk, the concept could've worked.

Doug

Bill Dix
12-18-2013, 10:04 AM
That's about as close as I ever get to Harriers. I'm also amazed that you had the bird in focus through all the grasses; did you focus manually? Unfortunately, there is just too much oof grass blocking the bird for it to work for me, but I like the idea.

Daniel Cadieux
12-18-2013, 10:46 AM
Gotta be honest too and say this would be an instant delete for me. The mouse would have to be rather tall...perhaps more like a coyote spying on the harrier!:S3:

Jamie Douglas
12-18-2013, 10:54 PM
Cheers for the comments folks and I thank you for your feedback. Yes this was auto focus and yes it is surprising the AF stayed on the subject. Just goes to show the 1D IV aint half bad.

This was one of those images you look at and go hey, this is a rule breaker in a lot of senses but might be worth seeing what the crowd on BPN have to say. I value the comments from folks on here as some of the best critique out there so no harm done to the ego and again thank you.

For records sake Daniel, the mouse was on a log... a big log with a step ladder :w3

Cheers

Jamie

Randy Stout
12-19-2013, 03:00 PM
Jamie:

I studied the image before reading your comments, and my thoughts ran to the prey hiding from the predator, so I think that part does work, on a very basic level. We have all hidden and looked out a threat, or bully, or a friend in a game of hide and seek, and can relate to this.

The overall effect may not be strong enough to compensate for the blocking of the bird etc., but I would probably keep it, in my bin labeled 'concepts'

Cheers

Randy