PDA

View Full Version : Prince of the Forest - Whitetail Deer.

Daniel Cadieux
12-16-2013, 07:11 PM
I spotted this handsome fella while driving along a quiet side road and drove right by before realizing what I had just seen...decided to take a chance and backup, low and behold it stayed in place. I took a few images from the comfort of my car, and then it just dropped down below the tall grasses to lie down and sleep, hidden away. An unexpected opportunity, glad I spotted it as it has one of the nicest looking set of antlers that I've seen from the local population (and fairly sized for an 8-pointer).

Canon 7D + 500mm f/4 II + 1.34TC, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/800s., f/5.6, ISO 400, natural light, lens resting on car window opening, FF, a few brighter highlights in the BG toned down via low-opacity clone brush.

Leigh Cojocar
12-16-2013, 07:49 PM
Very nice buck! great brow tines on him, they are almost touching!

Loi Nguyen
12-16-2013, 08:38 PM
Daniel, nice set of anglers and great details and sharpness. You were obviously too close to include the legs, so I'd suggest to go for a little tighter crop taking off a little bit off the bottom, a sliver off the top and the RHS. Loi

Rachel Hollander
12-16-2013, 09:32 PM
Hi Daniel - What a nice find. Excellent detail and sharpness. A little bit busy bg but it really shows how well they can blend in. I'm ok with the comp as is. You should take more non-avian wildlife images.

TFS,
Rachel

Stu Bowie
12-17-2013, 06:56 AM
Hi Dan, I do like how the Deer stands out from the surrounding grasses in a 3D effect, and he certainly blends in with regards to the colours. Lovely sharp detail on the head and neck.

Steve Kaluski
12-17-2013, 03:10 PM
Hi Daniel, it's great when unexpected events happen like this, well captured under the circumstances.

Being overcast has certainly helped, excellent control and detail in the blacks i.e. muzzle & eye. Perhaps having the LH ear more visible might have been better, but guess the deer was scanning for any danger sounds. Love the depth & detail in the rack. Tonal/colour palette is very nice.

TFS
Steve

Anette Mossbacher
12-17-2013, 03:45 PM
Hi Daniel,

a stunning animal. I only can agree with the others with this one. Very well done

Have a great eve

Ciao
Anette

Morkel Erasmus
12-18-2013, 08:55 AM
I like this one DanCad! Nice tones and detail, and he pops surprisingly well from the similarly coloured surrounds...
:5

D. Robert Franz
12-19-2013, 08:48 AM
Hey a real nice buck and a fine portrait with some nice light. Brushy but it shows where they live