PDA

View Full Version : Venus Set at Arch Rocks.

dankearl
12-15-2013, 07:39 PM
Yes that is the planet Venus a week or so ago on a no moon night at the Oregon coast.

25 sec., iso3200, f2.8, 24mm, D800, Topaz de-noise.

002_1420ps3bp.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=135762&stc=1&d=1387154261)

Cheryl Slechta
12-15-2013, 08:25 PM
Dan, I think this is very nice. I like the reflection of Venus in the water and the lighting on the rocks. I think you could crop from the bottom and eliminate the half circle reflection in the water and it would be nice also.:S3:

David Stephens
12-16-2013, 12:21 PM
Perfect exposure and processing of a beautiful scene. I agree with Cheryl about cropping out that half moon shaped reflection at the bottom. My brain is spending too much time trying to figure out what it is, instead of enjoying the beautiful reflection in the water and the sky.

Don Railton
12-16-2013, 11:21 PM
Nicely done Dan... I had a go at an 'Astroscape' last Monday an they all went into the bin... Too much light from surroundings I think. For this I agree with the crop from the bottom, I would cut just below the rock LH border, and I like the inclusion of the rocks and sea as a foreground. It looks like you might have had a few clouds floating by also which never help.

DON

Grady Weed
12-17-2013, 06:08 PM
Dan, Personally, I like the half moon reflection at the bottom, it adds another dimension to the image. It gives the image a semi circle effect, which I rather like. Well done on exposure and composition too...the colors and tones in the water add perfectly to a nicely framed and well timed image. TFS.

Andrew McLachlan
12-18-2013, 07:26 PM
Hi Dan, I like this scene and very cool to see the planet Venus...as an alternate I do think it may work better with a crop from the bottom to eliminate the brighter half-moon shape and also a crop from the left to eliminate the clipped rock and Venus too. Venus looks cool but I find it is drawing my eye away from the sea stacks? and starry sky.

Bill Jobes
12-30-2013, 03:25 PM
Beautiful photo, Dan.

I have one question.

The stars don't appear as pinpoint lights, but tiny streaks.

I would have thought that 25 seconds would have been brief enough to preserve them.

Perhaps there was some other movement that caused it ?

andresleon
01-02-2014, 04:07 PM
I believe you will get star trails after 20 seconds on a full frame using a 24mm lens. You need to stick to less than 20 seconds to get the stars sharp. I think David Kingham has some great tutorials for starry landscapes.
http://www.davidkinghamphotography.com/blog/2012/11/how-to-avoid-star-trails

Bill Jobes
01-02-2014, 04:48 PM
Good to know ... Thanks for the info and the link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Diane Miller
01-03-2014, 01:24 PM
At 16mm I see elongated stars at 15 seconds, but they would probably look like points in a small JPEG such as we post here. It's all about your tolerance level. And of course looking toward Polaris there is less apparent movement than there would be in this view, looking approximately west.

The effect here is much more prominent on the left side of the image. With a wider angle I would expect some variation in apparent star movement as the angle encompassed the view from west, where there would be more apparent movement, to north. But this looks like more than I would expect from 24mm.

I suspect there is an additional factor of wide angle lens distortion, possibly combined with software correction or distortion of some kind.

dankearl
01-03-2014, 02:05 PM
I used the auto lens correct in ACR for the horizon bend which may have produced this, I am not sure, I will have to look at the original.
I also used the Topaz de noise software for the first time on star photos, I like the effect but it is noticible and also may have something to do
with it. I don't mind it.
I have recently purchased the Rokinon 14mm lens which I have not used yet. It is supposed to be good at this kind of photography.
The 24-70 Nikon I used is a first rate lens but even it has some comma distortion.
I may get some with the 14mm this weekend so I can compare.
I am not that picky with these star photos, I just look at the overall image and whether I like it or not.
I also don't worry about true night sky color.