PDA

View Full Version : Leopard

Rachel Hollander
12-15-2013, 07:50 AM
It has been a while since I posted an image of one of my favorite subjects. So here's a leopard shot taken in the Timbavati Game Reserve in August 2012. This was taken on the afternoon game drive and the leopard was in the tree above us with the kill. I liked the dappled light and framed a bit tighter here for a portrait.

Canon 5D3
100-400 @ 360mm
1/1000
f5.6
ISO 800
EC +.33
HH from safari vehicle, cropped for comp, luminosity mask, levels, curves, selective color and hue/saturation adjustments, sharpened in CS6.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Martin Dunn
12-15-2013, 08:22 AM
Lovely capture Rachel. Great detail.
I like the composition and love the eyes. The leaves brushing against the leopard's head create a nice sense of intimacy.
The OOF branches under the leopard's jaw are a little bit idtracting but not enough to spoil a beautiful image.

Andreas Liedmann
12-15-2013, 08:54 AM
Hi Rachel,
Excellent portrait shot with some nice eyes clearly visible, like the comp with the foliage framing the subject.
The branches are not bothering me at all, but what bothers me are the colors, i think there is cast running across the image , red/yellow i feel.
There is some weird coloration in these highlights on the right side of the face going, was is necessary to recover highlights in that area ? If so i would rework it.
The tonal variation across the image is a bit flat for me, specially in the subject , i would open up range and give it again more contrast in the mid tones , leaving the darks alone.
But maybe you wanted it to be that way, so up to you.

TFS Andreas

Steve Kaluski
12-15-2013, 09:22 AM
Hi Rachel, I too like the feeling of this Leopard emerging from within the canopy and in this instance not looking to camera, but away.

I think the softness of the light has help in reducing any hotspots/highlights, but also I think there is too much red coming through? Adjusting the red can still retain the original warmth you wanted to convey, likewise getting a bit more colour back into those leaves also helps. How far you pull thing back or increase is down to personal taste, likewise I feel adding some Curves for both the blacks and the whites I think brings a bit more depth and tone to the subject. I think both crop & techs work well.

WDYT?

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
12-15-2013, 09:31 AM
Thanks Martin, Andreas and Steve. Andreas and Steve- I already reduced the yellows and reds a fair amount and then further reduced the yellows in the whites significantly (I think that's what you are seeing on the side of the face rather than highlight recovery). This was late afternoon and it just seems the light had that warm red/yellow glow as well. I was doing some adjustments while Steve was posting so here's my rp with the yellows and reds further reduced but trying to maintain the leaves and some midtone contrast added. Steve your rp looks a little too contrasty for my taste. WDYT?

Thanks again,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
12-15-2013, 10:00 AM
Hi Rachel, I've had to resort to the laptop to reply as the main ones are being cleaned and new OS installed. Viewing on the screen the colours in all three do not have the same depth so can't comment as such and this is why I hate laptops as the screen is never at the right angle even when you have the calibration strip spot on. I would say it's your call. :S3:

Andreas Liedmann
12-15-2013, 12:37 PM
Hi Rachel and Steve,
i like Steve`s RP the most , just personal preference of tones being more separated and have a cleaner and fresher look, both of Rachel`s posts are looking flat for me in tone and color.
But hey , your vision and preferences …… i am ok with it. Still a nice one .

TFS Andreas

edwardselfe
12-16-2013, 05:07 AM
I like Steve's RP for contrast and tone, but I think the yellow/oranges have become a bit to saturated. I would increase lightness slightly and/or decrease saturation and then I think it's spot on.

Ed

Morkel Erasmus
12-16-2013, 02:40 PM
Nice framing, details and dappled light here Rachel.
I prefer your RP here.
Are there some hot spots on the cheeks (whites)? :Whoa!:

Stu Bowie
12-17-2013, 06:50 AM
Hi Rachel, love the attentive stare, fixed on something other than your safari vehicle. I really like how the light has been cast on the left eye ( leopards left eye :w3 ) and your choice in going tight works well.

Rachel Hollander
12-17-2013, 07:32 AM
Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions.

Anette Mossbacher
12-17-2013, 03:42 PM
Hi Rachel,

just my input, the RP does it, agree with Morkel on the highlights on the cheap!

have a great eve

Ciao
Anette

Markus Jais
12-25-2013, 04:51 PM
Great Leopard portrait. I like the direction into which the cat is looking. Sometimes it is better if an animal doesn't look straight into the camera.
This might also look good in B&W.

Markus