PDA

View Full Version : Sparowhawk with prey

Petros Petrou
12-15-2013, 04:23 AM
There was not much time for photos lately but since a small local park is located just beside the supermarket, I though I could make a short visit there. I was lucky to find this Sparrowhawk feeding on one of the pigeons of the park. The pigeon was not that lucky i guess...
Canon 7D, 300 f/4L IS with 1.4x extender, 1/200sec, f/5.6, ISO 1600, +1 EV.
This is about 70-80% of the full frame. Noise reduction to the BG, levels, curves and some contrast boost needed.
I missed my 500 f/4L badly but this was supposed to be just a routine walk...

Petros

Henry Domke
12-15-2013, 05:37 AM
Lucky shot for a casual walk!
I wish I could see the legs and talons.

gail bisson
12-15-2013, 08:32 AM
You captured a great moment here.
I really like the feather in the LLC.
Nice and sharp. Good comp although I could see a version with a bit off the left.
I see a significant magenta cast and would fix that ( easily done). I would blend that branch in the BG above and left of the bird and the white blob to the left of the bird.
Gail

Petros Petrou
12-15-2013, 09:56 AM
Thanks Gail. I didn't notice the magenta cast! After incorporating the suggested changes to the image, here is the reworked version.

Sidharth Kodikal
12-15-2013, 11:03 AM
Handsome and powerful looking raptor that's been captured in a beautiful setting. Love the perch, bg and evidence of the kill all over.

vishaljadhav
12-15-2013, 11:45 AM
nice moment captured, i like the pose of the bird
the kill is a added bonus in the image, you were close to get this
nice one

Daniel Cadieux
12-15-2013, 06:38 PM
These types of sightings happen when you do not bring your long lens! You managed well though. The hawk looks nice and alert and I like that we can see some strewn feathers and a bit of blood to put the situation into context. The magenta cast removal looks better, but I do wish the two white areas near lower right corner were green instead...but that is what you had.

arash_hazeghi
12-15-2013, 08:38 PM
I like the pose and nice shooting angle, however even the repost has a strong magenta cast and also the plumage looks a tad soft to my eye, perhaps more sharpening might help. The residue of prey on the beak is ads a behavioral touch so the feathers. Dan has good suggestions too.

TFS you did very well given that you only had a short lens at the time

Satish Ranadive
12-16-2013, 09:28 AM
Magnificent image in habitat.Regards,Satish.

Juan Carlos Vindas
12-16-2013, 04:39 PM
Very cool raptor, repost looks much better and I agree that it can use a bit more sharpening and for me, a tad more light would improve the image.