PDA

View Full Version : Moose in Fall Environment

Marina Scarr
12-14-2013, 08:56 PM
Have been going through many old images and reprocessing for a new website. Came across this image from 3 years ago in Colorado which was too noisy to process conventionally but thought it might look good as a water color. The water color filter didn't do it justice, and I ended up using the dry brush filter which I felt looked quite interesting.

C & C are most welcomed and much appreciated.

Canon 1D3, Canon 100-400 @ 100mm
F5.6, 1/200 sec, ISO 3200, manual mode
Handheld

Dennis Bishop
12-14-2013, 11:19 PM
I like what the dry brush filter did (or, really, what you did using it), and I certainly don't see any noise at this magnification, at least.

Anita Bower
12-15-2013, 07:11 AM
Beautiful effect with your processing. I like the composition, with the elk coming out of the water from the left, into the image. I wonder about toning down or darkening the light colored dead trees in the center of the image, making them more like the ones on the right. As they are, they draw too much of my attention.

Jackie Schuknecht
12-15-2013, 08:45 AM
I like the environmental shot Marina. I wonder if masking more detail in the moose might bring more attention to it, (especially the legs). Just a thought. A sweeping vista on the whole, which I really like.

Nancy Bell
12-15-2013, 01:36 PM
Marina, this is so Colorado, I know a place that looks exactly like this, right down to the moose! Love the composition of the tall foreground trees and their reflections in the water. The legs of the moose also caught my attention. That light spot created by the one hind leg lifting out the water looks like a "hole" and maybe should be darkened. Plus maybe create a bit of a front leg if it is possible. Great that you captured the moose in an open area, with a side silhouette and a light bkgd. The processing fits this very well.

Diane Miller
12-15-2013, 07:51 PM
Very nice scene and effect! My only nit would be to consider a squeak off the top -- halfway to the yellow trees on the right. It seems like a small thing but it helps keep me from wandering around up there. Or maybe burn some hear the top, with a gradient.

Andrew McLachlan
12-16-2013, 07:23 PM
Hi Marina, this is fabulous...love the effect!!!:S3:

Christopher Miller
12-16-2013, 10:13 PM
This is such a cool shot, Marina! Very impressive landscape with then the moose down in the corner as the icing on the cake. :S3:

Marina Scarr
12-17-2013, 04:58 PM
Thank you everyone for your comments and critiques. It is most helpful. I will try to darken the legs some but the moose is walking through grasses on his way out of the water which is why they seem to disappear. I do think there is room for improvement, however.