PDA

View Full Version : Striped Lineup

Morkel Erasmus
12-14-2013, 03:22 PM
Just some zebra on the endless plains of Etosha...

Techs:
Nikon D3s
Nikkor 70-200mm f2.8 VR-II @ 70mm
f5.6 | 1/400 SS | ISO-220
Kenko Pro Circular Polariser
Full frame

Andreas Liedmann
12-14-2013, 03:40 PM
Hi Morkel,
love that sky, the rest of the image is just………….there.
The processing is just excellent with the deep shadows and brilliant whites , very clean looking.
Do not know what this coloration is called but i would use it more selectively.In the sky is some fancy coloration going on, think this is coming from downsampling, looking a bit like posterization.
And i would try to treat the grass savannah differently , do not know exactly how , maybe lowering contrast and or just give the area a bleached look with lesser detail visible, that would make the zebras stand out more.

TFS Andreas

Rachel Hollander
12-15-2013, 07:41 AM
Hi Morkel - you had some fantastic stormy skies in Etosha. I too like the way you processed the sky and brought out the detail in the clouds. If it were mine I would open up the midtones of the zebras and grasses a bit. They look like a line of weary zebras heading to a water hole and opening up the midtones and emphasizing the harsh light adds to this feeling.

TFS,
Rachel

Markus Hanika
12-15-2013, 10:49 AM
Hi Morkel,

excelent image.
The "symmetry" of the zebras, the impressive sky and the level of the horizon in the shot.
The shot works very well in B&W - i guess it's better than in color.

BR
Markus

edwardselfe
12-16-2013, 05:11 AM
Nice pic. I would also like the zebras to stand out a little more, so might selectively brush minus clarity in between then to make them stand out a bit.
I love the sky - it has almost and infrared look to it.
Ed

Steve Kaluski
12-16-2013, 05:48 AM
Hi Morkel, good call on the CP as it's certainly helped bump up that sky very nicely. It certainly has a nice clarity and cleanness to the image and I like the ratio split of land to sky, really builds on the vastness of the landscape. Good move to on having the zebras below the level horizon, however I enjoy having the two 'antelope' one looking to you in the distance between the last two zebra.

TFS
Steve

Marc Mol
12-17-2013, 06:13 AM
The dramatic sky BG is what it's all about here, very nicely seen and processed Morkel.:w3
For mine I'm not sure about the very slight blueish tint, and in an ideal world would have preferred a trio rather than quartet, just a personal thing.
TFS

Stu Bowie
12-17-2013, 06:45 AM
Hi Mork, excellent conversion, especially the 'darkened' sky, and the zebbies are placed nicely below the horizon. What would have put this over the top, would be falling rain in the distance. :w3

Russell Johnson
12-17-2013, 01:53 PM
Not much to add to the crits above, a classic image, and well captured with the sky.

I feel it is a little tight with the four zebra, and a few more inches on each side and more pano could enhance it. (If you have it)