PDA

View Full Version : THEME - Milkweed

Jackie Schuknecht
12-14-2013, 10:10 AM
This is an older picture, and I tried a different edit. I brought this milkweed in and the pods ripened and opened up to reveal the beautiful seeds. I photographed it on a white BG and added some textures and a slight round of poster edges. The BG reminded me of wind/clouds/or sky in which the seeds would blow off.

Dennis Bishop
12-14-2013, 11:01 AM
I really like what you did, here. The pods make a nice diagonal, and I agree with what you said about the background. The colors all go very well together. The fact that the hairs of the seed parachutes are nearly hidden makes it look like you captured the seeds falling, and that gives an exciting dynamic quality to the image.

Jackie Schuknecht
12-14-2013, 11:15 AM
Thanks Dennis, I appreciate your comment! I also meant to have this as a "theme" image, but it looks like I can't edit that back in.:e3

Diane Miller
12-14-2013, 02:46 PM
Gorgeous -- it is interesting what Dennis pointed out abut the "falling" seeds -- very nice!

Cheryl Slechta
12-14-2013, 05:38 PM
Jackie, I love the textures that you added and I especially like the fact that the upper seed pod is still fairly tight and the lower one has released it's seeds. I just changed your title to a Theme entry:S3:

Marina Scarr
12-14-2013, 08:57 PM
What a lovely and artistic image, Jackie. I love the color palate, the effect on the BG and the falling seeds.

Anita Bower
12-15-2013, 07:08 AM
What a great idea to bring them in to ripen. I will try that next year.
Graceful. Happy. Giving.
Beautiful texture work.
What did you do in processing that seems to outline the seeds?

Jackie Schuknecht
12-15-2013, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the comments. Anita I used poster edges at a low opacity. Around 17 percent, and erased it all from the BG and left it on the pods, seeds, and stem.

Anita Bower
12-15-2013, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the comments. Anita I used poster edges at a low opacity. Around 17 percent, and erased it all from the BG and left it on the pods, seeds, and stem.
Thanks so much. I'm going to try it. I like what you did with it.

Nancy Bell
12-15-2013, 01:24 PM
Milkweed pods are so photogenic and you did a great job here. Excellent composition with the position of the 2 pods, and that the seeds are falling out of the pods. The rough, sketchy lines of the bkgd really add a sense of motion to the image. Good choice and very good processing!

Judy Howle
12-16-2013, 06:01 PM
Excellent processing and you chose a good texture for the background. I also like the falling seeds effect, very interesting image!

Christopher Miller
12-16-2013, 10:17 PM
Lovely texture and composition, Jackie. I like how the reddish color of the seeds pops against the grayish BG.

gary ellwein
12-19-2013, 07:45 PM
I love the simplicity and subdued colors of the image. The texture used was an excellent choice.