PDA

View Full Version : Images from long ago second attempt

Mack Hicks
12-13-2013, 01:01 AM
Probably tried to load too big a file. This is White Shaman shelter. It sits high on a side canyon of the Pecos River just north of Hwy 90 on land owned by the Rock Art Foundation. The inhabitants of the Lower Pecos Canyonlands and their rock art date back to the second millennium BCE. Other comments and specs on previous post. I have been reading various photo blogs recently about how we need to print more because prints are more riveting. Standing in front of this almost 4000 year old "print" is certainly more evocative than my feeble attempt to capture it with electrons. Next time and I hope there is a next time I get to visit there, I will take a color card because getting the white balance exactly right is hard with the mixed light and reflections.

David Stephens
12-13-2013, 10:30 AM
Lovely to me as is. You're right, a 50" print on the long side would have huge impact.

I think this is a case where a little liberty with Saturation and Contrast is allowed to make the colors stand out a little more. I'm not saying put the slider over to 50, but may 10 to 15 more points would pop it without going over the top.

Andrew McLachlan
12-13-2013, 10:26 PM
Hi Mack, very cool rock art and great details too. I would take a sliver off the right side to eliminate the little triangular piece of blue sky that is showing. And one step backwards would have made the crack / line in the rock wall at the bottom edge more visible to the viewer, there are spots where it is touching the bottom edge. If you have more on the bottom I would add a smidge back in.

Cheryl Slechta
12-14-2013, 05:29 PM
Hi, Mack, I love rock paintings, cave art, etc. The colors in this one are lovely. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to check out this state park. I had a chance to visit Petroglyph National Monument in Albuquerque last month but I didn't see anything as beautiful as this. I'll need to read up on both parks and see what time frame the petroglyphs in Albuquerque are. On your last post you said it was a mile hike up a mountain. Is it steep? Just trying to figure out if I could carry a tripod or if they're even allowed. Thanks for sharing.:S3: