PDA

View Full Version : Lapwing at Pool

John Robinson
12-12-2013, 05:03 PM
Lapwing.
At pool no.3. Bird in the process of "paddling" wich they do to bring up food. Gulls do it too.
Piy about the reflection again !!!
Nikon D200
50-500mm Sigma
640 ISO
250th sec @ f9
Contrast down 1 in camera.
About 70% of full frame
Paint Shop Pro 7
levels.
Thanks for Green Woodpecker interest.
Cheers
JR

John Rowell
12-12-2013, 06:24 PM
Nice pose and good detail in the whites. Very sharp image. Too bad about the branches as I think especially the one in the upper left is quite distracting. Otherwise I think it's well done and interesting.

John Robinson
12-12-2013, 06:33 PM
Good point John . Its the main branch which the larger passerines land on such as Crows, jays etc I could clone it out but where do you stop.
Win some loose some. Done the top branch but no way doing the bottom one !!
Thanks
JR

Marina Scarr
12-12-2013, 08:07 PM
Lovely subject and great pose. The image sure does look better without the branches. It was just looking a bit too busy and taking away from your lovely bird.

John Robinson
12-12-2013, 08:20 PM
Thanks Marina
I really am at a loss so far. Some want plain clinical backdrops - which I am not keen on =others want the opposite. All photograhers should have( in my humble opinion) their own trade mark or style. When you succumb to the demands and suggestions of others you become a kind of clone. That,s no good to me. AS I jhave said before I like to have some info in the background to give a sense of enviroment. I will not change that ideal.
If it goes down badly I will join a womens institute photo club !! It is so easy to do birds on a stick with your introduced backdrops etc- but in real life bird photography it aint like that !!.
PS Merry Christmas !!!
John

John Rowell
12-12-2013, 08:32 PM
I don't disagree with you at all and at the same time think your repost is much better. There is still plenty of environment without the main branch allowing the real focus on the Lapwing. Good job.

John Robinson
12-12-2013, 08:36 PM
Thanks John
I am still a confused old man "!!! I remember taking the top branch away once and missing a Turtle Dove Something I may never get again.- Know what I mean ?
Cheers
JR

Marina Scarr
12-12-2013, 08:50 PM
I love your style, Johnny, and I look forward to more of your special images!

Geoffrey Montagu
12-12-2013, 10:18 PM
Love the IQ Johnny. The faint circle of ripples in the pool around the left leg give a bit of animation. Such great detail on the Lapwing and quality of separation from BG, it feels as if you could reach in and touch the bird.

Jonathan Ashton
12-13-2013, 05:04 AM
A fine shot of the lapwing - looking better without the branches top left. I don't see a problem with removing them, the image certainly looks "better" i.e. concentration remains with the bird and the surroundings are still natural and have not been totally sterilised for the sake of a pleasing/ coffee table top book style picture. The background looks just a little noisy to me and the colours are very pleasing though for my personal taste perhaps just a tad vibrant - that's just me I know you prefer the colours that way.
I intend to go into my bag hide by my garden pond to see if I can get some images as rewarding as yours have been.

christopher galeski
12-13-2013, 05:05 AM
nice shot Johnny,repost is the one,used to be loads of these were I live,but have declined a lot over the last few years.TFS.

Martin Dunn
12-13-2013, 05:42 AM
Lovely Lapwing John. My comment on the OP was going to be exactly the same as John Rowell's. I am usually in favour of a minimal amount of cloning, especially if it does not intrude on the main subject but that branch was just too **** big and ugly

Ian McHenry
12-13-2013, 01:45 PM
Really good pose Johnny & nice iridescence.
Last saw a big flock of these guys in 1988 @ Aberlady Bay.
We used to call them Peewits. Great song.
As another bird photographer the top left branches do not bother me ( A creature in its element).
Cheers: Ian Mc

Satish Ranadive
12-14-2013, 06:55 AM
Excellent image. Beautiful colors, very nice details and environment.
Love the frame.

Regards,
Satish.

Juan Carlos Vindas
12-14-2013, 09:50 PM
A stunning lapwing. Love the repost and the birdīs crest.