PDA

View Full Version : Cotton wool ball!

Anette Mossbacher
12-12-2013, 09:46 AM
This Landscape has found me in Svalbard. Who has guessed that? :t3
Somewhere, up there in the north.

Took this from "shipping" boat to another destination.
LR all I do by now. Gets more every week :bg3: PS levels, curves, dodge/burn, sharpen in CS6. No crop, this is full frame.

1DX ISO 1600
70-200mm L IS II
f/9.0 1/640sec
Handheld

Rachel Hollander
12-12-2013, 11:05 AM
Hi Anette - nice warm glow here. I like the layers of color in the sky. If it were mine I might see if I can extract a bit of detail in the shore. I'm guessing you have brought up the exposure on the sky as there is a slight amount of noise. There also seems to be some banding in the upper corners.

TFS,
Rachel

Anette Mossbacher
12-12-2013, 11:22 AM
HI Rachel,

thanks so much. I will have a look into the dark mountains. I lifted the shadows, which generates more noise. Noise has been address, looks like not enough. :e3
I cannot see your banding in the upper corners. I zoomed 100% in the original file! Maybe the banding you see is caused by compression and down sizing the image or I am blind by now and have square eyes :2eyes2:
Thanks again

Ciao
Anette

EDIT: I call it back with the banding. I see it white banding in the corners when the image is small!!

Don Railton
12-12-2013, 11:31 PM
Hello Anette

I agree this needs opening up in the dark sections (from mountain tops down) to add detail. I would have processed this in ACR using a gradient so the sky colour could be controlled without having to drop the overall exposure (and making in mountains etc dark). But maybe you did this? I also think we have a lot of sky that is required if the cotton ball does not have too sit in the corner, maybe too much sky?

DON

David Stephens
12-13-2013, 10:36 AM
I love the glow and layers and agree with bringing out mountain/shore detail. I think the water is about right and if we could just see some more detail at the shore area it'd be close to ideal. Right now, I think there's too much dark percentage, but showing a gradient between the sky and water would balance the composition better.

Andrew McLachlan
12-13-2013, 10:20 PM
Hi Anette, a simple and effective image...I like it a lot...would also open up the shadowed areas so that they appear more balanced with the sky. Lovely scene!

Cheryl Slechta
12-14-2013, 05:32 PM
Hi, Anette, the lighting is beautiful. I can see this with a little less sky or a little less water:S3:

Morkel Erasmus
12-18-2013, 08:02 AM
Lovely vision and light here Anette! I agree with Rachel - extracting some detail from the dark ocean and dark land mass would take it up a notch - but not too much :w3

Anette Mossbacher
12-18-2013, 09:36 AM
Thank you very much Cheryl and Morkel for your comments. Will redo it during Christmas. Now to much to do. Christmas is in front of the front door, need 6 arms by now :w3

Merry Christmas & A Happy New year to you all

Ciao
Anette