PDA

View Full Version : Camouflage

Stu Bowie
12-12-2013, 01:19 AM
This is a Spotted Eagle Owl which has been rehabilitated back to full health from injury. On this morning a few different rehab birds were taken out away from the suburbs of Johannesburg for some exercise. A handler would have one of the birds on a gloved hand, while the other would be a fair distance away and would have a food item to attract it when called. They werent attached to anything and could fly between the two handlers unhindered. After this flight, he decided to 'perch' on the grass. It is amazing how he blended in so naturally to the surrounding grassland that had been burnt a little while back. In hindsight, getting even lower would have shown up his eyes a little better, but since this was a once off experience, I just wanted to get the shot before he flew off again. I did post some fish eagle in flight images a while back from this morning shoot. Did I get any of this guy in flight - unfortunately not. Taken early morning.

Canon 1D Mark IV
CANON 100-400 @ 285mm
1/800
F/8.0
ISO 640

Exp comp +0.33

christopher galeski
12-12-2013, 01:43 AM
Nice capture Stuart,he looks mean,as you say,he does blend well with the BG,sharp with good detail.TFS.

David Salem
12-12-2013, 02:44 AM
Great looking owl and you did a good job capturing it. It sure dose blend into that grass well. Love the raised ear tufts. The techs and details look great. Well done Stuart

Jonathan Ashton
12-12-2013, 05:48 AM
Nicely detailed Stu, I agree a little lower would have been good but it is a different shot in any event. Good exposure and an appropriate title.

Carl Walker
12-12-2013, 07:24 AM
He does blend in well Stuart. A lovely shot of a SEO. Some detail there too. I might get rid of the little orange specks top of frame but other than that it is a great image

keith mitchell
12-12-2013, 07:53 AM
Stuart blends very well in fact if it closed it's eyes you could loose it, magnificent bird and a good shot of it.

Keith.

Rachel Hollander
12-12-2013, 10:46 AM
Hi Stu - he does blend well but those piercing eyes really pop. Even with the camouflage, you've separated him from the bg well. Agree about getting a little lower but not a deal breaker.

TFS,
Rachel

Marc Mol
12-12-2013, 11:15 AM
Camouflaged indeed, and in fine light Stuart, a lower POV would've been nice, but happy to have this for mine.
TFS

Stu Bowie
12-12-2013, 02:16 PM
Thanks for all your feedback everyone. Always appreciated.

Holger Leyrer
12-13-2013, 02:29 PM
This is really super. Great eye contact and details.