PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Town mansion - Terlingua, TX

Chris Ober
12-11-2013, 05:03 PM
Another from the Ghost town in Terlingua, TX from this October.
Canon 5D MK2, 17-40L @ 40mm, f/16. HDR
The building is a mansion that belonged to a mine owner, Howard E. Perry, and was built sometime before 1910.
This one didn't take the resizing very well.

Morkel Erasmus
12-12-2013, 04:13 AM
I like the composition, colours and luminance here Chris.
Would have loved to see it bigger (posted at least 1024px wide) to better evaluate?

Chris Ober
12-12-2013, 09:06 AM
Whoops! Fixed.
Last action I used resized smaller than I originally had it.

Thanks Morkel!

Anette Mossbacher
12-12-2013, 09:36 AM
Hi Chris,

the sky open above the mansion looks great. I might would pull back the blacks a bit, but this is just me. For me the images feels a bit harsh, which life was probably in 1910! :bg3:
I do like the comp as well very much.

Have a great day

Ciao
Anette

Diane Miller
12-12-2013, 06:26 PM
I love the sky but agree with Anette -- I'd like to see a comparison with less contrast on the ground and building.

Don Railton
12-12-2013, 11:15 PM
Hi Chris,
I love the sky, the colour and the composition/ your vision here. I am not keen on the power lines cutting across the image, the coarseness that the vegetation has (HDR effect or is it just because of the resolution posted..?) and the sign on the hill.

DON

Rachel Hollander
12-13-2013, 10:20 AM
Hi Chris - I like the road leading us into the frame. Very dramatic sky. There are two lines coming in from the right side that stop abruptly in the sky. They may have been closer telephone lines but they stop abruptly and aren't anchored by a pole so they look strange to me.

TFS,
Rachel

Andrew McLachlan
12-13-2013, 10:13 PM
Hi Chris, I like what you have done with this photo...I think it suits the ghost town look...my only suggestion would be to clone out the hydro lines of modern day to give it even more of a ghost town feel.

Gavin Slabbert
12-28-2013, 12:01 PM
Interesting Chris, this is over saturated for my taste,
Looking past that, the image has a lot of potential.
The road has a really nice "S" curve and I would liked to see it being used to lead your eye into the image.
I would have preferred the building to the left of the image just not so close to the center, and the horizon is too centered for my taste.

Bill Jobes
12-29-2013, 10:56 AM
Love the way you presented the HDR interpretation with one small caveat -- I agree with Anette and Diane that it would benefit from slightly less contest and sharpness on the land portions.

Comp, colors and sky are exceptional.