PDA

View Full Version : South Texas in January

Barry Ekstrand
12-11-2013, 10:56 AM
In mid-January I will be attending attending a business-related hunting trip in South Texas, near Falfurrias. As a non-hunter myself I have been invited to bring my photography equipment and get some great nature shots from the blind. I am getting a 500mm f4L IS II lens at Christmas, so this outing will be an early opportunity to use the lens and TCs. My question is if anyone has any thoughts / advice on what to look for or expect at this time of year (I had been thinking of a trip in March - April before this came up). Any input will be appreciated.

Barry

Jeff Parker
12-15-2013, 07:54 PM
I recommend not photographing from the tower blinds. They offer great visibility, but you will be shooting down at the animals. I had great success photographing at a hunting ranch by just hunkering down in the grass or brush. The hunters were like "That worked?". :S3: They crack me up dressing in full camo while sitting in blind 20 feet in the air.

If you have not photographed in the brush country before you are in for a treat. That is assuming you are not on a ranch that kills every living thing that moves except for their deer. Deer, turkey, javelina, feral hogs, coyotes and bobcat if you are lucky. If you put out some meat or stake out a gut pile from the hunters you will have good crested caracara action and quite possibly Harris' hawks. If you are near a corn feeder the green jays and golden-fronted woodpeckers will visit regularly.

Matthew Pontiff
12-25-2013, 03:53 AM
If you're interested in birds, spread some seed out, put some suet in a tree and cut oranges in half to stake on a broken branch.