PDA

View Full Version : What I might call sub forums

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
05-11-2008, 04:55 PM
One of the reasons I post on this site is because of the wonderful critiques that are given by both the members but especially by the moderators. Yesterday I submitted an image to the "Wild and Free" Forum, it was moved to the "Captive" forum because the BG was out of focus brick wall. I didn't agree with the move as I didn't feel the BG was enough to cause the move, but that is the decision of the moderator. My problem with the move was not that I don't think the "Captive" forum is not full of good photography, but more that no one critiques these "sub" forums. It seems to me that this is a weekness in this web site and I was wondering if there might be a way of correcting this situation or would it be better if I were to modify the submitted image so that one can not tell what the BG or offending man made object is. In the case of the offending brick wall, I could have blurred the wall so one could not tell what it was. I personally think that this would have detracted from the image but it would most likely have been permitted into the "Wild and Free" forum.

Thanks for listing to my thoughts on this subject and I will look forward to your thoughts.

Axel Hildebrandt
05-11-2008, 06:12 PM
Wheeler,

While there is certainly more traffic in the wild and free forum, the moderators in the captive/hand of man forum are great and insightful. I don't think it is a fair description that 'no one' comments there. Members and contributors are highly encouraged to comment themselves. If everyone would post 5 comments per posted image, the number of replies would be higher. Commenting on images is a great way to learn about photography as well.

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
05-11-2008, 06:25 PM
OK Axel, I was hoping that we might hear from others on the subject. I don't disagree with you and I am not trying to cause any trouble. One thing you didn't tell me. if I had blurred the brick wall, would the image have made it into the "Wild and Free" forum?

Mac

James Shadle
05-11-2008, 07:47 PM
Wheeler,
Thanks for bringing this subject up.

Our guidelines on the subject are pretty simple. If there is any element that is recognizable as hand of man,
that is to say anything that is not 100% natural, the image is to be posted in the Avian, Captive and Hand Of Man forum.

While our Avian, Captive and Hand Of Man forum does not generate the same traffic the Avian, Wild and Free forum does, it is not a second class forum.
We have some of the world's best photographers posting their image in the Avian, Captive and Hand Of Man forum.

However, I do feel we all could do a little better job of participating with more constructive comments.

Thanks for joining and participating at BPN.

Thanks James, COO

George DeCamp
05-11-2008, 07:58 PM
Seems to me if there is a brick wall in the image it should be in the hand of man forum regardless of whether that BG is blurred a bit or clear. If a bird was fling over a road the same thing. A bird in a forest is something different. I think the poster should be the one who decides, in all honesty to themselves and the website, where he/she should post the image. Relying on the moderators to police things is usually a no win situation for the moderators who are trying to help the posters and not to be the forum police per se. Unfortunately not all decisions will be agreed upon by the members but if the poster is honest to himself it is way easier for us all.

Trying to get the number of critiques up in certain forums is an ongoing challenge for all of us, members and moderators. I know sometimes, these days especially, my time is limited and I try to seek out the posts that are short critiques no matter where they are.

Hope you understand my point as I certainly do understand yours. We are all trying our best to make this place better each day. It is really great that you can share your thoughts with us as well as it makes us think harder and one day with your thoughts in our minds it will trigger an idea.

Alfred Forns
05-12-2008, 07:51 AM
Hi Wheeler I have to disagree with you on the "sub" forums. There are no sub-forums on our site.

If you look at the Avian hand of man forum the critiques are as good as in the wild and free forum. There are far less images/traffic which is understandable. They are given the same attention. If you want more a more in depth look at your image might consider the eager to learn forum.

One thing that will help you more than anything else is writing critiques yourself. Looking and commenting on lots of images will make you a better photographer. Much better than posting and seeing what someone else thinks !!!!

Robert Amoruso
05-12-2008, 08:32 AM
Hi Mac,

Nice to see you here and posting. Though I look at the images in Avian HoM often I have not been commenting much. My failure and I will spend more time commenting there in the future. Plus I have a great Burrowing Owl image I made this weekend that will fits there well. He is sitting on a wood perch erected at their burrow. The perch is small in the image relative to the birds, but it is an image I would post in the Avian HoM forum for that reason.

I have not noticed or felt that it is a "sub-forum" but we don't want posters to feel that way either. For my part I will comment and post more there.

Thanks for your comments as they help us to improve the site and the experience for all.

john crookes
05-12-2008, 05:59 PM
Should Humingbird images with a man made background br in the wild and free or the hand of man

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
05-12-2008, 09:27 PM
I guess the Hand of man for the hummingbird.

Dan Brown
05-12-2008, 09:54 PM
I have noticed that there is sort of a "sub-forum" thing going on. I have recently posted in Out of Box forums and for sure, their is less interest in this forum, but not by the moderators. It seems to me that the moderators have a monsterous task here, as this site is incredibly active (which is great).
I think that the only solution to this problem is for everyone to comment as much as they can in as many forums as they can and let the chips fall as they may.

Dan Brown,
Sacramento

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
05-13-2008, 11:11 AM
To all that have responed to my original thoughts: Thanks for yopur thoughts on this subject. Many of your answers have given me food for thought and a fresh look at what I considered a problem. I think that the moderators have a tremendous job trying to keep up with the volume of posting and do a great job. I guess I was not aware that the membership's critiques were as important as many of you have pointed out. I think I will attempt to add my thoughts on many postings as I agree that this a wonderful way to learn. In the case of the two forums that I discussed, what was the reason for the two different forums in the first place? Is it possible that after a number of months of experience that merging the two might be in order?
I really don't care a great deal whether this is done, just a possibility that it would work a little smoother. Anyway we' as a group, have probably spent more time than the subject is worth, but again thanks for your thoughts

Mac

Dan Brown
05-13-2008, 11:51 AM
Is there a way to sort the new posts by "fewest replies" ? I find myself looking for the fewest replied to posts, then replying, but with the volume of post, I think that some slip by and get buried in the current newest posts.

Dan Brown

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
05-13-2008, 02:05 PM
I agree Dan that would be nice. Those would not be overlooked.

Jim Poor
05-28-2008, 06:03 PM
On the right side of the page, at the top of the "replies" column, you can click on the word replies to sort by number of posts. There isn't a way to sort by both replies and posting order.