PDA

View Full Version : Juvenile Snow Goose in flight

Sidharth Kodikal
12-10-2013, 06:35 PM
This shabby juvenile (white morph) is from December last year.

Canon 1D4, 700mm
1/2500, f7.1, iso 400, manual, handheld

All comments appreciated.
Thanks

Grace Scalzo
12-10-2013, 08:54 PM
Shabby-chic! Nice photograph of this youngster, and that background makes him pop. Techs are perfect. Not sure what is trailing....kinda looks like poop, so personally I'd make it go away :w3

Greg Oakley
12-11-2013, 03:09 AM
Great flight shot - nice detail, wing position and awesome BG

Jonathan Ashton
12-11-2013, 08:30 AM
Excellent focus I like the exposure and the pose is spot on. Super detail throughout, the poop doesn't bother me, it is a natural function/aspect of behaviour, you happen to have caught it, but I can understand why some would prefer it removed.

Arthur Morris
12-11-2013, 09:08 AM
Why shabby? It is a beautiful juvie that does not even look as if it has started to molt to first winter. Love the SH, the wing position, and the soft sweet light and BKGR. Where on the refuge was it created?

Holger Leyrer
12-11-2013, 10:12 AM
Beautiful image. The colors from goose and BG works perfect for me. Love the wing position and pose.

Daniel Cadieux
12-11-2013, 10:26 AM
Great looking goose and image. Fantastic BG. I'm with the others on the trailing bit, but otherwise A-1!

Stu Bowie
12-11-2013, 12:15 PM
Hi Sid, another great flight pose captured against those killer BG's from Bosque ( I presume ) one gets to know certain subjects and where they are captured, and these locations come with their own familiar BG's. :w3 Great exposure and detail from the near underwing, and overall sharp. Well placed in the frame, and Im fine with the trailing bit.

Sidharth Kodikal
12-11-2013, 03:53 PM
Thank you all for the comments. The trailing bit is a blade of grass.

Why shabby? It is a beautiful juvie that does not even look as if it has started to molt to first winter. Love the SH, the wing position, and the soft sweet light and BKGR. Where on the refuge was it created?

I'm going by memory as this was a year ago. When you enter the reserve keep going straight past the flight deck. The road turns right. Soon after you turn right**, there are fields on either side.
On the first day and the last day of my week long stay there, tons of geese were feeding in a field right next to the road. I had favorable winds on both those days. Tons of opportunities and frame filling flight shots with that distant mountain bg. What a magical place!

** IIRC, this is a one way for vehicles, so you can't turn right if you were driving. You'd loop around the refuge to reach the spot above.

PS: Most of the geese images I've posted here, like the ones below are from the same spot
http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/106295-Bosque-Snow-Goose?highlight=
http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/106664-2000th-post-blue-morph-in-flight?highlight=

Karl Egressy
12-11-2013, 04:29 PM
Great flight shot with perfect shooting angle, wing position and a background to die for, Sidharth.

Shawn Zierman
12-11-2013, 07:22 PM
Gorgeous background and subject isolation. Technically perfect imo. I enjoy seeing younger birds like this too.

Arthur Morris
12-11-2013, 08:06 PM
Thanks Sidharth, It sounds as if you were on the Intermittent Tour Road.

David Salem
12-11-2013, 08:35 PM
Killer shot Sid. Love the detail and the pose in this shot. The Goose is perfectly lit, the head is very sharp and the BG sets it off beautifully. I think I like the juvies better, a bit more contrasty. Well done.

christopher galeski
12-12-2013, 02:21 AM
nice flight pose,great BG,sharp with nice detail,would remove the poop.TFS.

Sidharth Kodikal
12-12-2013, 04:50 PM
I'll get rid of the trailing bit. Thank you all for the comments/feedback.