PDA

View Full Version : Wood Duck

Bill Dix
12-10-2013, 11:55 AM
I'm pleased that I finally got a few frames of this most beautiful of duck species, one of my nemesis birds. (OK, maybe the Harlequin is contender in the beauty contest). This one is a bit different from the lovely Wood Duck images I've coveted on this site in the past, but I liked the way the dark setting brought out the beauty of the bird. C&C appreciated.

D7000, 700mm, ISO 1600, 1/500s @ f/7.1 manual.

John Robinson
12-10-2013, 12:32 PM
Hi Bill
A cracker !The dark backdrop really sets it off. You know my views on refections but this works fine. Its probably when they are too much like the main subject I go off a bit !!
Funny these are in the OK as escapes as are mandarins. Mandarins are now accepted as British but not Wood Ducksif I am correct.
Good one.
Cheers
JR

gail bisson
12-10-2013, 03:41 PM
Hi Bill,
I would love to have some wood ducks in my files!
I like your low POV and nice reflection.
I know these ducks are really hard to expose for properly and you have done well but I wonder if you can get some more details out of the blacks.
I like the black BG and find myself wishing that the bird was further along the frame to minimize the amount of wood at the top of the frame.
Gail

Bill Dix
12-10-2013, 04:03 PM
Hi Bill
A cracker !The dark backdrop really sets it off. You know my views on refections but this works fine. Its probably when they are too much like the main subject I go off a bit !!
Funny these are in the OK as escapes as are mandarins. Mandarins are now accepted as British but not Wood Ducksif I am correct.
Good one.
Cheers
JR

Thanks Johnny. On this side of the pond, Wood Ducks are breeding residents in a large part of the Northeast US. They tend to be very wary in my area, so I felt lucky to get a shot. Mandarins would be considered escapees here. It had not occurred to be that the opposite might be true in the UK.

Bill Dix
12-10-2013, 04:05 PM
Hi Bill,
I would love to have some wood ducks in my files!
I like your low POV and nice reflection.
I know these ducks are really hard to expose for properly and you have done well but I wonder if you can get some more details out of the blacks.
I like the black BG and find myself wishing that the bird was further along the frame to minimize the amount of wood at the top of the frame.

Gail

Thanks Gail. I agree on all counts. I don't know why I didn't get the next frame with the bird further along. I cropped to pano to minimize the wood, but would prefer him further along.

Karl Egressy
12-10-2013, 06:05 PM
Sure enough the dark background draws all the attention to this great looking Duck. Well done, Bill.

Grace Scalzo
12-10-2013, 08:47 PM
A fine image, Bill. I love the cave-like appearance of the background. And...the reflection is lovely.

Henry Domke
12-12-2013, 08:54 AM
Drop-dead gorgeous!

Bill Dix
12-12-2013, 03:37 PM
Thank you everyone.

Satish Ranadive
12-14-2013, 05:52 AM
Excellent image of beautiful bird on beautiful dark BG, Bill Sir.
Love the lovely colors, fine sharpness and composition.

Regards,
Satish.