PDA

View Full Version : Black Kite (Milvus migrans)

Mervyn Marsh
12-09-2013, 03:26 AM
Taken at Western Treatment Plant, Victoria, Australia on Sunday 5:11pm.. 5d mk iii, 500mm mk ii, f/9, iso 800, 1/800 40% crop..
Cheers,
Merv

Henry Domke
12-09-2013, 06:06 AM
The head angle and wing positions are good.
For my taste the contrast seems a bit high. I think it would look better if the shadows were brightened and the highlights were slightly darker.

Is that white crescent in the upper right the moon?

Randy Stout
12-09-2013, 09:40 AM
Merv:

The contrast is my biggest concern as well. THe moon adds an interesting detail, keeps my eyes moving back and forth within the frame, which is good.

Cheers

Randy

Stu Bowie
12-09-2013, 10:14 AM
Hi Mervin, good points above, and a little TLC on the wings will put this up a few notches. Great that you included the moon - something not often seen in daylight images.

Shawn Zierman
12-09-2013, 10:23 AM
The moon is excellent! The kite looks sharp and well exposed. The only thing that could improve this very fine image would be if the bird had been angled just so, and that left underwing had been more lit up. Still a wonderful image in large part because of the crescent moon.

Arthur Morris
12-09-2013, 08:04 PM
Agree with Henry on the shadows and highlights. I am trying to understand, if that is the moon--Mervyn never responded BTW, I am trying to understand why it is so large in the frame at 500mm. I know that o-o-f objects in the distance will appear larger. Furthermore, why would it be so bright in the sky in daylight????

Mervyn Marsh
12-09-2013, 09:12 PM
Hi yes it is the moon, not sure why it's so bright, it was a very clear day and thats just how the moon looks here in Melbourne. the moon was half the size but after cropping the photo down it beccame three times bigger.
the bird was smaller in the frame also but after crop was three times bigger. i did raise contrast on this photo as I just liked it more that way..
Cheers,
Merv

Arthur Morris
12-10-2013, 04:58 AM
Hi yes it is the moon, not sure why it's so bright, it was a very clear day and thats just how the moon looks here in Melbourne. the moon was half the size but after cropping the photo down it beccame three times bigger.
the bird was smaller in the frame also but after crop was three times bigger. i did raise contrast on this photo as I just liked it more that way..
Cheers,
Merv

Thanks Merv.So much for deductive reasoning :)

Satish Ranadive
12-10-2013, 08:57 AM
Beautiful flight and I like the light and shadows.

Regards,
Satish.