PDA

View Full Version : The Red Dragon

Jeffrey Sipress
05-11-2008, 02:42 PM
I spent some time learning the habits of this guy and setup aiming at the branch that he kept returning to while he was doing his rounds. When he returned, I was still, and already focused. Click!

Canon 1Ds, 100mm macro.

http://machinearts.com/fredphotos/reddragon1.jpg

Julie Kenward
05-11-2008, 03:33 PM
Sweet! The only comment I have is that dark spot on the ULC that is blotching up the BG. Otherwise, great image! Well worth the patience it took to get it!

Robert O'Toole
05-11-2008, 07:32 PM
Image is sharp and the subject is clean and fresh, late season Dflys can have torn worn wings.

Try to photograph Dflys in overcast or diffused sun. It is almost impossible to make a HQ image in harsh contrasty light.

Robert

Ed Cordes
05-11-2008, 08:13 PM
The DF has good sharpness. However, I find it too back lit as there is little detail to be seen on the body.

John Cooper
05-12-2008, 02:44 AM
Superb detail Jeffrey and lovely composition. Agree with Robert re harsh lighting.
Yes, these critters will invariably re-visit a favourite perch time and again, and you were certainly prepared for this one!!!

Roman Kurywczak
05-12-2008, 12:23 PM
Hey Jeffrey,
A little fill flash would have helped on the DF. or........you might have been able to tone down the BG by going with a little underexposure and using the flash as more main light. always a compromise!

Mike Moats
05-12-2008, 06:39 PM
Hey Jeffrey, as pointed out excellent details and I agree the backlighting kills any body light and details. The black blotch in the ULC is a little distracting for me..

Ed Vatza
05-12-2008, 07:41 PM
The wings look terrific to me. The body is too dark for me. I guess the backlight kills the body detail. The dark spot doesn't bother me.