PDA

View Full Version : Don, some ice here...

Steve Kaluski
12-08-2013, 06:39 AM
Taken a while back, and again, just wished I had the experience I have now. Taken from on board a small ice breaker.

Steve

Subject: Small ice berg
Camera: Canon MKIII
Lens: 24-70f/2.8 HH
Exposure: 1/160s at f/11 ISO400 +1.33 stop compensation

Rachel Hollander
12-08-2013, 11:54 AM
Steve - Nice colors and detail in the ice. Looks like you had some harsher light and handled it well. I like the ripples in the fg too. I'd just prefer a little more room bottom, left and right.

TFS,
Rachel

David Stephens
12-08-2013, 03:32 PM
I love the tight crop and the well handled high dynamic range. It seems to me that the horizon may be about one-degree off.

This really shows off the weathered ice and the side lighting is very effective.

Don Railton
12-08-2013, 11:21 PM
Very Nice Steve.. I love the way deep ice graduates the reflected colour... Spent a lot of my younger years climbing mountains and this always appealed. FYI, the day I stop learning about photography is the day I plan to take up something else...

thanks for showing

DON

Steve Kaluski
12-09-2013, 09:13 AM
Thanks folks, Rachel it's FF, should have swopped to the 16-35f/2.8. :w3

FYI, the day I stop learning about photography is the day I plan to take up something else...

Totally agree, plus the advice you pass on is from good experience rather than from out of a book.

Anette Mossbacher
12-09-2013, 02:53 PM
HI Steve,

the 24-70mm is in my "gear hold" for sale. Never liked it much. For Landscape it was mostly in my way than with my way. Even when it can be good, but it has it's "buts" for me, especially in Landscape. You are so right with the time we learn much more with all. I did not even take it along to Svalbard, I never missed! But this is just me, a bit quirky after all :t3

The ice looks very nice and agree with Rachel for a bit more space. The light is hard but that is not a prob for you at all :w3 You can handle that always :w3

Have a great eve

Ciao
Anette

Steve Kaluski
12-09-2013, 03:04 PM
Thanks, I really like it and it's nice for close quarter work I've found, but did play with a fisheye on the trip too, funky!

Andrew McLachlan
12-09-2013, 07:41 PM
Hi Steve, lovely chunk of ice...I too wish for more on the bottom and right side too. Light is a little harsh but looks okay for this image. If it were mine I think I would clean-up the bottom edge by removing the small piece of ice. I want to see the fish-eye photos :S3:

Cheryl Slechta
12-11-2013, 10:19 AM
Hi, Steve, I especially like the textures and ice in the foreground. I agree with Andrew about evicting the small piece of ice on the lower left edge.

Steve Kaluski
12-11-2013, 10:50 AM
Hi Cheryl, I agree, but will RP when I'm back home, however, I think both Rachel & Anette have really shown how spectacular & dramatic this landscape really is. :S3:

Morkel Erasmus
12-12-2013, 04:30 AM
Nice view Steve, in your face as it were. I'd play around with dodging and burning to add more pop to the ice in particular?
I like the vastness behind it too.